Poll: Light or Dark Theme

24 Posts
19 Users
12 Likes
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

I just enabled a dark forum theme - which do you prefer - Vote early but don't vote often 🙂

Colors are all configurable but there are a zillion options so I just took the default "dark theme" for this forum.

I'll get right to it...

Posted : October 16, 2020 6:23 pm
Wayne
(@wayne)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the options Rowland! I have to admit this dark color is easier on the eyes, for me anyway.

Posted : October 16, 2020 8:30 pm
rowland reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

I was going to be ok with the white, but the dark is WAY better!

Posted : October 16, 2020 10:31 pm
rowland reacted
marco
(@marco)
Estimable Member

agreed, like the dark theme

Posted : October 16, 2020 10:55 pm
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

I prefer this dark theme to the white one. Definitely easier on my eyes.

Posted : October 17, 2020 5:32 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Illustrious Member

Dark. As I posted my response "Dreams" came on my computer. How else could I have voted? 😉 

This post was modified 4 years ago by Lee

Everything in Moderation. Including Moderation.

Posted : October 17, 2020 7:44 am
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

I prefer Dark Theme ... but Blue might make it feel more like home 😏 

Posted : October 17, 2020 8:45 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Prefer the standard black text on white background since since it works for things like books and the rest of the internet. The white looked cleaner, less busy. The black background is very 2005, makes the site look a little dated.

Not a big deal either way, I guess I'm in the minority and it's up to the people who choose to hang out here. Makes sense folks here would want to go full Spinal Tap.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : October 17, 2020 9:33 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @porkchopbob

Prefer the standard black text on white background since since it works for things like books and the rest of the internet. The white looked cleaner, less busy. The black background is very 2005, makes the site look a little dated.

Not a big deal either way, I guess I'm in the minority and it's up to the people who choose to hang out here. Makes sense folks here would want to go full Spinal Tap.

Yeah, it's funny, personally I'm more in sync with your view, but apparently we're in the minority.  Most of the forums I visit these days are black text on white background and it really is the more updated look. But you may recall when we first opened shop here someone posted that the black text on white background reminded them of an old sports forum and looked very dated. Go figure.

Maybe music people are just happier hanging out in dark places like clubs and theaters Smile .

I'll get right to it...

Posted : October 17, 2020 9:55 am
PorkchopBob reacted
oldblue
(@oldblue)
Estimable Member

I prefer a dark theme, blue felt like home. I still miss windows XP as well. I'm more or less a lurker though, I seldom log in and contribute. Thanks for keeping this site going.

Posted : October 17, 2020 10:46 am
rowland reacted
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @oldblue

I prefer a dark theme, blue felt like home. I still miss windows XP as well. I'm more or less a lurker though, I seldom log in and contribute. Thanks for keeping this site going.

Thanks for the input - and hmm, I can see why you'd like blue :).

I'm waffling between matching the old Forum's blue colors and leaving it like this though, because I do want to make it both comfortable but clearly something new.  The ABB deserve having an ongoing, lively, updated site!

I'll get right to it...

Posted : October 17, 2020 11:09 am
JimSheridan
(@jimsheridan)
Noble Member

I prefer darker or blue, but I also didn't mean to be the guy who pees in the punch. At the end of the day, this is a really good site for people who want to talk music without a lot of BS getting in. Obviously I love the focus on the ABB, but I've gotten to a lot of other really good music via this site too. I find most Facebook music pages too full of general "I love everything this band does" kind of statements, which are lovely, but they don't get me very far. 

I need to do some digging and find out what this "peachbook" feature is. 

Posted : October 17, 2020 12:17 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: @jimsheridan

I need to do some digging and find out what this "peachbook" feature is. 

I owe you all some instructions but don't want to overwhelm people with too much stuff all at once.

When you login you are taken to your Peachbook page.  You can post updates to your page just like on Facebook.

Click on someone's username when they post here, or on the guest book, and you will see their page.  

Click the "Add Friend" button on someone's page and a request will be sent to them.  

Click the "Follow" button and you will see their posts.

You can add photos to a photo album section on your page.  

The Forum is based on topics, like Reddit.  Peachbook is based on people and relationships, like Facebook.

There's more, but that's the basic idea.

I'll get right to it...

Posted : October 17, 2020 12:40 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member

@rowland ... maybe go for a paler blue ... then it is not white so the dark people will be happy ... and it is not black so the white people will be happy ... and it is not dark blue like the old site so it looks different and keeps everybody happy ... 

Posted : October 17, 2020 7:10 pm
rowland reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

I like this, should be left as is - thanks for all that you do Rowland & Lana🙏😎

Posted : October 17, 2020 7:22 pm
rowland reacted
rowland
(@rowland)
Reputable Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks for the feedback @Stephen and @Harvey - obviously a matter of personal taste here - otherwise paint stores would carry a lot less inventory 🙂 !

I'll get right to it...

Posted : October 17, 2020 9:12 pm
harvey reacted
owencarol
(@owencarol)
Estimable Member

Rowland, this is a great topic and I appreciate you looking for input. I am in favor of the dark theme 100%.

Posted : October 18, 2020 6:35 pm
rowland reacted
bird72
(@bird72)
Honorable Member

I would like themes that intuitively know my mood and reflect that with the appropriate color.  Not much to ask......

Seriously darker, but this is a bit gloomy.....  thanks fer caring!

Posted : October 19, 2020 5:08 pm
rowland reacted
robslob
(@robslob)
Famed Member

I prefer the current dark background.

Posted : October 19, 2020 9:54 pm
gina
 gina
(@gina)

I don't usually like black, except for cars, but I like it, it feels more familiar.  

Posted : October 31, 2020 11:27 am
musicmann
(@musicmann)
Honorable Member

I vote for the dark!

Posted : November 1, 2020 3:05 pm
ABBDutchFan
(@abbdutchfan)
Noble Member

I prefer the dark too!

Posted : November 9, 2020 3:25 pm
pixielf