(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : January 23, 2021 9:29 am
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Nice looking guitar for sure. I've always thought of Nancy as a softer acoustic player especially in her early days with HEART. She would play with open tunings a lot and just great awesome sounds. Ove the years I've had the opportunity to see her and the band play a few shows and was always impressed. It's nice to see Nancy get some air time. Not sure what kind of price point " The Epiphone Fanatic ," has, but I'd like to check one out sometime. I'm sure I'm not the only one..

Thanks for sharing this information.... 

Posted : January 23, 2021 11:12 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@rcgp2020  https://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIENNW?siid=283612

Posted : January 23, 2021 12:46 pm
RCgp2020
(@rcgp2020)
Estimable Member

Thanks @Jszfunk for the Link info. Not bad pricing at all.

Posted : January 24, 2021 11:23 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The pickup configuration is interesting.

Posted : January 24, 2021 6:07 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk Yes the bridge pickup is installed diagonally.  The body favors a Les Paul and it is an Epiphone which is owned by Gibson and Epiphone has a Les Paul line that is cheaper than its Gibson cousin.

The best tone I've heard in recent years is the Stratocaster the Fender Custom Shop built for Jimmy Herring.  On a nearby thread Jimmy shows off the guitar's amazing tone on a Led Zeppelin cover. It has just two big pickups which is not typical for a Strat.

Posted : January 24, 2021 6:49 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Not to take anything away from Nancy's fine guitar here is Jimmy Herring on that Led Zeppelin cover Loving You So Long. See if you've ever heard an electric guitar with a better tone. Please be honest. Maybe at 74 my ears are tricking me.

Posted : January 24, 2021 6:59 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robertdee

@jszfunk Yes the bridge pickup is installed diagonally.  The body favors a Les Paul and it is an Epiphone which is owned by Gibson and Epiphone has a Les Paul line that is cheaper than its Gibson cousin.

The best tone I've heard in recent years is the Stratocaster the Fender Custom Shop built for Jimmy Herring.  On a nearby thread Jimmy shows off the guitar's amazing tone on a Led Zeppelin cover. It has just two big pickups which is not typical for a Strat.

Positions

1.Rear coli of bridge humbucker

2. Both coils of Bridge humbucker

3 Inside coils only of bridge and neck humbuckers

4. Inside coil of neck humbucker

5. Both coils of neck humbucker

I would rather have more of the typical setup with the pup selector switch and push pull pots to split, but thats just my preference. Guitar still sounds real good anyways.

Posted : January 26, 2021 9:46 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunkYou talking about Nancy's Epiphone or Jimmy Herring's Fender Strat?

You agree Herring's Strat has outstanding tone?

Posted : January 26, 2021 11:15 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robertdee Nancy

Posted : January 26, 2021 1:50 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk Okay I thought it probably was Nancy's.   Don't care for Jimmy Herring's tone? To my ears it's real fine. 

Posted : January 26, 2021 3:22 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Guess everyone agrees with me that Jimmy Herring's tone on the Led Zeppelin cover about is top notch. One of the best electric guitar tones they have ever heard. 

Posted : January 26, 2021 11:59 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robertdee

Guess everyone agrees with me that Jimmy Herring's tone on the Led Zeppelin cover about is top notch. One of the best electric guitar tones they have ever heard. 

He does have nice tone, I just not much a fan of his. Great guitar player,just not my cup of tea. To many notes. It looks like he has mini humbuckers or maybe chrome covered p 90 pup's. I cant tell for sure.

Posted : January 27, 2021 8:50 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Jimmy Herring is great, but I don't love his PRS tone. It's heavy on the single coil tone, stings a little too much for my taste.

One of my favorite shows was the ARU & Col Bruce tour back in 2014, Herring is perfect in a setting like that. Plenty of room to explore.

Panic headlined the last few years of Wanee Fest. Herring fits in perfectly with their material, but his guitar would just get exhausting after a while. Just felt like he was constantly playing at the same intensity for 2.5 hours straight. Not my bag.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : January 27, 2021 9:54 am
Share: