The Allman Brothers Band
MICK JAGGER Release...

Notifications
Clear all

MICK JAGGER Releases Lyric Video For 'Strange Game', His Theme Song For Espionage Series 'Slow Horses'

11 Posts
4 Users
8 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mick-jagger-releases-lyric-video-for-strange-game-his-theme-song-for-espionage-series-slow-horses/

THE ROLLING STONES frontman Mick Jagger has co-written, recorded and performed the theme song for the highly anticipated Apple Original series "Slow Horses" with Academy Award-nominated film composer Daniel Pemberton. The brand-new track, titled "Strange Game", was released today (Friday, April 1) via Polydor Records / Universal Music to coincide with the series premiere of "Slow Horses", which will launch globally on Apple TV+ with the first two episodes on Friday.

The official lyric video for "Strange Game" can be seen below.

Based on a series of acclaimed books by Mick Herron and starring Academy Award winner Gary Oldman, "Slow Horses" follows a team of British intelligence agents who serve in a dumping ground department of MI5 — Slough House on the outskirts of London. Oldman stars as Jackson Lamb, the brilliant but irascible leader of the spies who end up in Slough House due to their career ending mistakes. The six-part series also stars Kristen Scott Thomas, Jonathan Pryce, Olivia Cook and Jack Lowden.

The atmospheric and infectious title track "Strange Game" captures the series' dark and mischievous premise, and the surreal world of espionage and exclusion the main characters find themselves in. Underpinned by Jagger's powerful and eerie vocals, the poignant, moodily strutting theme tune, which references elements of the show's original score, encompasses both contemporary off-kilter sound design and delicate piano arrangements, highlighting the narrative of yearning for the days to "dance with the big boys again". Jagger and Pemberton have created a title theme that not only feels instantly iconic but one that also cleverly references many aspects of the show's multiple storylines.

Pemberton states: "Working with Mick Jagger has been one of the most exciting collaborations of my professional career. I think we have managed to create an incredibly unique and original title's theme and I cannot wait for the rest of the world to hear it."

Series director James Hawes adds: "We always wanted a song to set the tone for the show and there was only ever one name in my mind — Mick Jagger. Hearing the track for the first time was utterly thrilling. Mick's lyrics and performance have totally nailed the mood of 'Slow Horses' with all the humor and swagger I dreamed of."

Track producer and co-writer Pemberton, who was nominated for an Oscar in 2021 for his work with the singer Celeste on the song "Hear My Voice" and recently nominated for a BAFTA for his score to "Being The Ricardos", is best known for his work as a film composer, where his credits include "Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse", "The Trial Of The Chicago 7", "Oceans 8" and "Yesterday". He is also responsible for creating the original score and soundtrack of "Slow Horses", to be released soon via Universal Music. The sync of the series' title track "Strange Game" was secured by BMG.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : April 2, 2022 1:05 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Just reading an interview with Keith Richards and they began discussing singles and Keith's favorite is not Honky Tonk Women or I Can't Get No Satisfaction or any Rolling Stones single but You Got Me Dizzy by Jimmy Reed. Keith said the simplicity of it and how Jimmy lays it out so effortlessly makes it his favorite. 

I had never heard of the song or heard it until today!! 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : April 12, 2022 5:43 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

Just reading an interview with Keith Richards and they began discussing singles and Keith's favorite is not Honky Tonk Women or I Can't Get No Satisfaction or any Rolling Stones single but You Got Me Dizzy by Jimmy Reed. Keith said the simplicity of it and how Jimmy lays it out so effortlessly makes it his favorite. 

I had never heard of the song or heard it until today!! 

When they were young Richards mentions running into  Jagger waiting for a train(?) and Mick had an armful of old blues records under his arm. He mentions that Jagger used to mail away to Chess records to buy the old blues masters records which were no easily avaible in the UK in the 1950/ 60's. So Jagger had some influence in a young Richards exposing him to those old Chess records bluesmen.

Richards mentions Reed often in interviews and book on the Stones as being a big influence on him. I recently bought a 2LP set of Reed's more well known songs  and I can see why Keef loves him so much. He is a very fluid and melodic guitarist. I could picture Duane admiring his playing.

Posted : April 13, 2022 2:03 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham  Hey now. This is cool right here. 

Posted : April 13, 2022 9:55 pm
Bill_Graham reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Rolling Stones the second most successful rock band in history? Second only to the Beatles? It sounds right to me. Anyone disagree? 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : April 13, 2022 10:09 pm
cmgst34
(@cmgst34)
Prominent Member

Dude. It’s literally — literally, literally, not figuratively literally — every thread. You post something at best tertiarally related to the thread, and then post a few YouTube videos barely — at best — related to the thread. And it dies. 

this isn’t about Beatles and Stones. Or how Mick met Brian Jones or whatever. And a slew of random YouTube’s when one clicks one topic to read about the topic, is rather frustrating. 

Posted : April 13, 2022 10:35 pm
oldcoot and salcapitano reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robertdee  Thanks for posting the videos. cool stuff.  Ron Wood put out a Jimmy Reed tribute release last year.

https://www.ronniewood.com/news/new-ronnie-wood-album-mr-luck-a-tribute-to-jimmy-reed-out-september-2021/

Posted : April 14, 2022 9:46 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@cmgst34 Nobody posted anything on this thread for 10 days before I posted. It seemed it had already died. 

Anyway just skip over my posts and don't read them. I don't read them myself. 

Posted : April 14, 2022 10:25 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robertdee Unfortunatley Robert,as you well know, things have REALLY SLOWED up around here. I appreciate your posts and responses to topics . Usually the Whipping Post stays pretty active but even that  has died down . I guess maybe Trump or the Republican party needs to get into  the White House and that will light a fire to get things moving over there!!! 😜 😜 😜 😜 😜 😝 😝 😝 😝 😝 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Posted : April 14, 2022 12:13 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk Hopefully we won't have Trump again or what we have now. Maybe someone like Obama or George H. W. Bush. Slightly left or right of center. 

But thank you. Always enjoy the things you put on it. Often I hadn't noticed it elsewhere. 

Probably the situation here is the Allman Brothers Band hasn't been together for 8 years and Gregg and Butch have passed on. And not any archived releases especially DVDs of Atlanta Pop or a Jack Pearson show etc to get people stirred up. 

TTB and Gov't Mule are out there but not all ABB fans took to them as they did the ABB so they didn't fill the void after 2014. 

But we are still looking for something to get into again!! 

Take care.  I'm a Stones fan and apparently you are too. Second to the Beatles as the most successful rock band in history wouldn't you say? I think they probably are. 

Posted : April 14, 2022 1:26 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robertdee

@jszfunk Hopefully we won't have Trump again or what we have now. Maybe someone like Obama or George H. W. Bush. Slightly left or right of center. 

But thank you. Always enjoy the things you put on it. Often I hadn't noticed it elsewhere. 

Probably the situation here is the Allman Brothers Band hasn't been together for 8 years and Gregg and Butch have passed on. And not any archived releases especially DVDs of Atlanta Pop or a Jack Pearson show etc to get people stirred up. 

TTB and Gov't Mule are out there but not all ABB fans took to them as they did the ABB so they didn't fill the void after 2014. 

But we are still looking for something to get into again!! 

Take care.  I'm a Stones fan and apparently you are too. Second to the Beatles as the most successful rock band in history wouldn't you say? I think they probably are. 

Good post and observation about the "busyness" of this site. Every since the band slowed down and eventually stopped, Greg being gone, its very slow to stagnant. I guess understandably, but kinda sad.  Probably the last big rush through here was a couple of years  ago when " The Brothers" show took place.

I know I dont post a lot about the ABB(due to inactivity) and my what I do post is more so info/news related, and nothing original, but i just try to keep topics going to start conversation. I love music and I know all of the good people on her do as well. Really enjoy conversations about it and there are alot of knowledgeable and insightful folks on here and I enjoy and value their opinion.

Speaking of the Stones here are a couple of podcasts. One is a book about Beggars Banquet and the other is about Their Satanic Majesties Request.

https://discordpod.com/listen/074-the-rolling-stones-their-satanic-majesties-request-1967

Posted : April 15, 2022 9:26 am
Bill_Graham reacted
Share: