(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : March 6, 2021 10:37 am
Chain
(@chain)
Noble Member

I really dig this tune. I first heard it played during Wolf’s Howard Stern interview some months back.  It’s refreshing to hear actual musicianship on full display in what I would call mainstream hard rock music.  

For years now many of the artists in this genre have sounded the same to me and most of the actual music lacked anything beyond a weak hook and relied too much on overly loud pounding drums and bass and shitty, screeching basic guitar playing.  

This tune has a nice riff and melody along with some technical prowess and a tasty guitar solo that’s not a wank fest and fits the song nicely.  He also actually sings very well and is not just a screamer that’s so common in young hard rock bands these days. 

I ordered this album over the weekend and am looking forward to hearing what else young Mr. Van Halen has to offer.

Posted : March 8, 2021 3:41 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @chain

I really dig this tune. I first heard it played during Wolf’s Howard Stern interview some months back.  It’s refreshing to hear actual musicianship on full display in what I would call mainstream hard rock music.  

For years now many of the artists in this genre have sounded the same to me and most of the actual music lacked anything beyond a weak hook and relied too much on overly loud pounding drums and bass and shitty, screeching basic guitar playing.  

This tune has a nice riff and melody along with some technical prowess and a tasty guitar solo that’s not a wank fest and fits the song nicely.  He also actually sings very well and is not just a screamer that’s so common in young hard rock bands these days. 

I ordered this album over the weekend and am looking forward to hearing what else young Mr. Van Halen has to offer.

I totally agree with you on your take about the recent genre of hard rock.....its lacking to my ears...ugh for the most part.

I cant say enough good things about his vocals.

It will be interesting to see where this band goes in the future. Will he make it more of a group/band effort as far as writing and playing the material. or will it be just him doing it all?

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : March 9, 2021 8:41 am
WarEagleRK
(@wareaglerk)
Noble Member

As a big Van Halen fan, I wanted to like it but the two songs I've heard so far do nothing for me. It just sounds like early 2000's rock music, which I am sure is a sweet spot for him due to his age. There isn't anything wrong with them, the first song wounded like something Daughtry would release in 2002 and this one is like a Sevendust outtake. Wolfie is obviously talented, but I'm just not feeling these two songs beyond the emotional impact of that 1st video. 

I know he wrote and played everything on the album, but it could be much like his dad he needs the friction of a writing partner to mold the ideas into something greater.

I do wish people would stop treating him like he's 18 years old. That's gotta drive him crazy. He's about to be 30 and every time he's interviewed or reviewed they treat him like he's a child. 

Everyone's mileage will vary, and I hope nothing but the best for him.

Posted : March 9, 2021 9:03 am
Share: