The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

John 5 Plays 7 iconic guitars from Hard Rock's vault.

jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

The amazing John 5 joined Hard Rock historian Jeff Nolan for a deep dive into guitar nerditry. In this video, he plays Jimi Hendrix’s SG Custom, Brian Jones’s iconic Vox Mk. III “Teardrop”, Paul Kossoff’s ’57 Les Paul Jr., Paul Stanley’s Ibanez Iceman, the ’58 Les Paul from the cover of the Stones’ live classic ‘Get You Ya Ya’s Out’, Jason Becker’s Peavey “Numbers” guitar, Duane Allman’s Telecaster (the one he used on Wilson Pickett’s “Hey Jude”) and John’s own 1967 Telecaster Custom. This one was a labor of love. Hope you enjoy it.

This topic was modified 2 months ago by jszfunk

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Topic starter Posted : December 2, 2021 10:41 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

Duane Allman did own a Telecaster in the 1960's but I've read more than once years back that Duane played a Stratocaster he owned on Hey Jude. Plus Duane has that Strat in all the pics I've seen of him at Muscle Shoals. When the ABB formed Duane decided to go to a Goldtop Les Paul for a fatter tone plus Duane had no interest in a whammy bar which by 1969 was so closely identified with Jimi Hendrix whom Duane loved. Duane even claimed the song Little Martha came to him in a dream. Duane was in a motel room in the bed when Hendrix walked in and went to the sink, turned on the water and used his hands to play Little Martha on the stream of water coming out of the facet. Duane claimed when he work up he grabbed an acoustic guitar and played what he heard in his dream and named it Little Martha. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2021 11:35 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Yeah, not his "Muscle Schoals guitar". Duane was playing a Strat by then.

According to this article the Tele was his Hour Glass guitar (probably early Hour Glass since most HG photos feature Duane playing a Strat): https://www.groundguitar.com/duane-allman-guitars-and-gear/duane-allmans-1950s-fender-telecaster/

Also, am I the only one who had to look up what a John 5 is?

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2021 12:34 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Here are a few photos of the guitar I happened to find

d5792a1c53331b88e47abe35acf7923f
133078 ce7e271441474d3d65d072013c969eef

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2021 1:15 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@porkchopbob Yeah I had to look it up too. I listened carefully to Hey Jude and to my old ears it doesn't sound like a Tele. 

Duane also had a Tele with a Strat neck he liked a lot. 

Clapton has admitted in more than one interview I've seen that when Hey Jude got a lot of airplay he too heard it and didn't recognize the guitarist from the licks and style and was impressed with the playing. Clapton said he just had to know who this new kid  on the block was playing like that and he knew Wilson Pickett was on Atlantic Records so he called Jerry Wexler on his private number and asked him. Wexler said " That is Skydog Allman". Clapton told Wexler that guy is good and he will go somewhere playing like that. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2021 6:40 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Peach Extraordianire

@porkchopbob I knew who he was as he played in Marilyn Manson's band.

He  was of the new generation guitar heroes back in the 1990's and from the stuff I heard is very talented

This post was modified 2 months ago by Bill_Graham
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2021 9:46 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
[quote] Posted by: @porkchopbob

Also, am I the only one who had to look up what a John 5 is?[/quote]

There were a series of videos posted here a couple years ago of John 5 playing a show with Michael Anthony.

like this one:

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2021 9:45 am
Chain
(@chain)
Peach Extraordianire

@nebish 

I prefer this clip as I love this classic Van Halen tune.  

This post was modified 2 months ago by Chain
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2021 12:05 pm
Chain
(@chain)
Peach Extraordianire

I've always wondered what a Gov't Mule version of  "Take Your Whiskey Home" would sound like.....Especially if they jammed it out for a couple minutes before ending it.  

In other words about a 6 or 7 minute version with some Danny Louis organ tossed in with some cool gritty and slightly distorted slide guitar from Warren....

Seriously, it could be so cool....

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2021 12:15 pm
nebish liked
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@porkchopbob  Thanks for the photos of Duane. Some I had not seen before. 

I thought I linked this John5 yesterday but I see it didn't work. 

This is the strangest thing. I don't like it at all but everyone needs to see it once. You don't think Dickey would do a new video similar to this do you ?. I noticed John5 replaced Zim Zum with Marilyn so now I must go looked up him. 

Maybe if I could breath whatever they are getting from those oxygen masks I would connect with it!!

This post was modified 1 month ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2021 1:22 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Peach Extraordianire

@porkchopbob  Here is Zim Zum. 

Today is my 75th birthday!! I had never heard of Zim Zum or John5 before. I wish it were still like that! 

Well after seeing bands and singers and guitarists since 1963 I've seen it all now. Nothing else to discover. John5 and Zim Zum beats it all. I'm actually speechless!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2021 1:39 pm
Share: