Is there anyone here?  😉 

Without all the empty space, how big would the Universe be? © Getty Images

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : May 1, 2022 12:12 am
Randall reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I see it!! Looks like the Milky Way Galaxy! Our galaxy. One of hundreds of billions of galaxies. 

SIZE Comparison. This will make you feel microscopic!! So view at your own risk. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : May 1, 2022 8:31 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @robertdee

I see it!! Looks like the Milky Way Galaxy! Our galaxy. One of hundreds of billions of galaxies. 

SIZE Comparison. This will make you feel microscopic!! So view at your own risk. 

Not quite what I was getting at, but interesting. 😉 😉 

Posted : May 2, 2022 7:34 am
salcapitano reacted
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

bump

Posted : May 24, 2022 12:56 pm
tbomike
(@tbomike)
Noble Member

I get it I believe. It is kind of sad.

Posted : May 24, 2022 3:57 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @tbomike

I get it I believe. It is kind of sad.

Yes, it is sad. I am afraid they might decide to turn out the lights at some point, God forbid, but I would understand.

I really dont use social media and this is about as close as I get. I registered over a VHLinks about a month ago. Its pretty cool, but they have tons of subcategories and it is kinda of overwhelming. Steve Hoffman forums I have tried that, but not on a daily basis like here. About 15yrs ago I was on the Black Crowes forum......that was totally toxic.

There are posst on 1st page of AG 1 week out and WP 2 months out. The later always seem to get traffic for sure. I guess I need to go over there and whip everyone into a frenzy and start dropping right wing,conservative republican,Trump propaganda posts. That will get the folks panties in a wad real quick!!! LoL LoL LoL LoL LoL

Maybe some Nug and Skynyrd talk might help over here!

Posted : May 25, 2022 8:13 am
steved
(@steved)
Honorable Member

Yes it is sad but true. Things are certainly slow. I don't post much (never did) but I do miss the days when shows, songs, solos were dissected. Gear was talked about and we had some insight to the band. 

I guess we still have the great music and that is why we all got here in the first place. But yeah I miss it. 

Posted : May 25, 2022 10:20 am
Jack_Frost
(@jack_frost)
Reputable Member

I had a feeling this website forum was on borrowed time once there was no more Allman Brothers Band. Unlike say the Grateful Dead, there really isn't a high profile band playing ABB music regularly. There is no Dead & Company analog for the Allman Brothers Band. It isn't Tedeschi Trucks Band or Gov't Mule. And it wasn't Allman Betts Band when they still existed. The lack of digital online trading of shows hurts them too. 

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted, anyway.

Posted : May 25, 2022 10:21 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted : July 11, 2022 8:04 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

Once again, big fuzzy peach thank yous to Rowland, Lana and all of the others who have created and maintained this incredible website!  I have made many fine and lasting friendships via this site.  Yeah, kinda lonesome around here compared to then but this site was just the meeting grounds and HQ for all things Allman Brothers related.  It is no exaggeration to say that my life changed for the better on the day that I discovered this site.  

Posted : July 11, 2022 9:28 am
Randall and cyclone88 reacted
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

Hi.

I feel the domino effect.  For years I stuck around in the WP on topics and things that interested me or I wanted feedback on, but as other users continued to dwindle away, it no longer was important to me to put the time and effort into posting because I wasn't getting the interaction and interest.  I always said I wouldn't leave, and I haven't, I just don't come to read or post as much because there isn't much happening or many to make it happen with.

I love the site, I love the information available and the news and knowledge shared here.  I just wish there was more action, then I would want to come back more and engage on topics and discussions again.

Posted : July 11, 2022 11:30 am
cyclone88 reacted
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

Posted by: @jszfunk

Yes, it is sad. I am afraid they might decide to turn out the lights at some point, God forbid, but I would understand.

I really dont use social media and this is about as close as I get. I registered over a VHLinks about a month ago. Its pretty cool, but they have tons of subcategories and it is kinda of overwhelming. Steve Hoffman forums I have tried that, but not on a daily basis like here. About 15yrs ago I was on the Black Crowes forum......that was totally toxic.

There are posst on 1st page of AG 1 week out and WP 2 months out. The later always seem to get traffic for sure. I guess I need to go over there and whip everyone into a frenzy and start dropping right wing,conservative republican,Trump propaganda posts. That will get the folks panties in a wad real quick!!! LoL LoL LoL LoL LoL

I don't do SM at all except for a couple of professional forums & this. I can't stand it. I don't like the mentality that's developed of "if it wasn't posted on IG it didn't happen" and it's a time-suck. So thanks to Rowland et al who are keeping this forum going.

With the ABB gone, not much to post about them, but I'm always happy to hear about NEW bands & creative projects of people here (recently posted art & new tunes was great). I really don't care about what the kids of any of the ABB do; they're not the ABB & I feel zero connection to them. I almost posted here that tennis great 63 yr old John McEnroe who was in London to call Wimbledon matches & has become a decent musician (w/his wife Patty Smyth plus his own band) was broadcasting by day and joining Pearl Jam & the Eagles at night at a music fest, but decided no one here would care. I thought it was fun.

The WP could be a place to discuss topics that are important rather than just rants to fire people up. Think we have enough negativity in the world w/o deliberate provocation. I don't know how Americans got so divided that we can't have civil conversations because people are either liberal/right wing & states are either blue/red, but here we are. I appreciate when anyone posts about recent air travel experience & reminders that Covid hasn't really gone away. So, glad the lights are still on.

Posted : July 11, 2022 11:51 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

Posted by: @nebish

I love the site, I love the information available and the news and knowledge shared here.  I just wish there was more action, then I would want to come back more and engage on topics and discussions again.

@nebish, I liked your comments about what travel was like during Covid. I didn't travel then & your stories about what the re-opening was like were interesting & helpful.

There's a lot going on in the US & the world, but I don't know that it can be discussed. How did a vaccination against a pandemic virus become a red/blue issue instead of one re medical/public health? All we've learned about mass shootings is that there are angry guys who seem to get off on killing groups of people in public spaces - parades, churches, offices, schools. The assassination of Japan's former PM Abe indicates if a guy can't get a gun, he'll make one out of 2 pipes taped together. So, if you have any engaging topics & shared info, that would be good.

Posted : July 11, 2022 5:06 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@jszfunk Got an old 77 year old Dead Head here this evening. Brought me a new magazine with young to 52 year old Jerry Garcia photos. He thinks that above band sucks! Not sure who they are. 

Guess he ain't into heavy metal or hard rock. Personally I can dig bands like that a few times a month. 

But this old man here, he just left, he can wear me out on the Dead. I'm okay with the Grateful Dead a few times a month but my Dead Head buddy gets spaced out and digs hearing Jerry and the boys tune up:) Anything. Feedback at a Dead show to him is brilliant. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : July 11, 2022 10:49 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

Not sure why we lost so many old members who used to post here, old age, other interests, lack of ABB news to discuss, all of the above?

This place was much more active when the ABB band still existed in a limited form and Trump was President especially the political threads which is easy to understand.

JMO, and I am not trying to criticize anyone who is left here, but part of the challenge now for me at least is the people who are left are old timers who seem to be close friends from years on the forum and attending concerts together and seem to prefer to respond only to each other. 

I have tried to engage in the conversations in some of the threads but don't seem to get much in the way of responses so I just give up and go to forums where the other posters are wiling to respond and accept newer posters.

Like I said I completely understand why some prefer to respond to those they know but for me it discourages me from posting in most threads where the small group only seem to want to talk to those they know well.

I still come here every day just to see if there is any activity and news about one of my favorite bands but I don't post here much and just go to other forums for discussions.

I also do enjoy reading your music related news threads JSZ so please don't give up due to lack of responses.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth. 

Posted : July 12, 2022 8:46 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @cyclone88
Posted by: @jszfunk

The WP could be a place to discuss topics that are important rather than just rants to fire people up. Think we have enough negativity in the world w/o deliberate provocation. I don't know how Americans got so divided that we can't have civil conversations because people are either liberal/right wing & states are either blue/red, but here we are. I appreciate when anyone posts about recent air travel experience & reminders that Covid hasn't really gone away. So, glad the lights are still on.

None of thats possible, ya know!! LoL   I agree by the way.

There was a recent post over and I thought, wow this is really good, had some ideas and could be productive. But as sure as a bear poops in the woods, took that same ol' WP turn. When it comes to politics,religion everyone has an opinions( there like......) but no one wants to hear it if its different than theirs and your wrong.

Posted : July 12, 2022 10:46 am
cyclone88 reacted
KCJimmy
(@kcjimmy)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @bill_graham

Not sure why we lost so many old members who used to post here, old age, other interests, lack of ABB news to discuss, all of the above?

This place was much more active when the ABB band still existed in a limited form and Trump was President especially the political threads which is easy to understand.

JMO, and I am not trying to criticize anyone who is left here, but part of the challenge now for me at least is the people who are left are old timers who seem to be close friends from years on the forum and attending concerts together and seem to prefer to respond only to each other. 

I have tried to engage in the conversations in some of the threads but don't seem to get much in the way of responses so I just give up and go to forums where the other posters are wiling to respond and accept newer posters.

Like I said I completely understand why some prefer to respond to those they know but for me it discourages me from posting in most threads where the small group only seem to want to talk to those they know well.

I still come here every day just to see if there is any activity and news about one of my favorite bands but I don't post here much and just go to other forums for discussions.

I also do enjoy reading your music related news threads JSZ so please don't give up due to lack of responses.

Pleased to meet you Bill. I'm Jimmy. Do you like music? 

Posted : July 12, 2022 11:26 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @bill_graham

Good post Bill. I can relate and feel the same about some of the things you mentioned.

I think with the band winding down a few years ago had alot to do with it and the political back and forth in the Whipping post during certain presidencies would get people fired up. I found all the banter on the WP to be more entertaining/amusing than insightful. Gave me a good chuckle. We all have out certain beliefs and feelings regarding the prior. We may think we know whats going on, but ........

I try to respond to all, new folks or the old ones. Does not matter to me. As long as it generates conversations to keep my interest I am all in. I do also get discouraged by the lack of interaction on threads. What do you do? I know alot of what I post is non ABB related. That may be a turn off , which I get. Of course due to lack of there being any ABB and even when there was, nothing really news worth was making waves to discuss. When the "Brothers" show happened a few years ago, things lit up pretty good for a few,then faded again.

Maybe some of it has to do with other forms of social media, message boards and etc.... not sure.

I joined the VH Links -Van Halen forums. I have started posting over there. Its kinda overwhelming at first, they have so many sub categories to their message boards its a little to much in my opinion. I just stick with the Main Discussion page. Alot of passionate people over there. I tried the Steve Hoffman Music forum. I felt like I got swallowed up pretty quick. I might try and dive back in. One of the worst I was ever a part of and it was a short time, was the Black Crowes in the early 2000's. That place was TOXIC.  I will also post every once and a great while on guitar/gear forums.

I threw this out there before and will again, but I am seriously in the works of getting a podcast or two up and running by the end of the year. I think I listen to more podcasts about music than music itself!!!  Both will be music, one will be a band dedicated for sure. I will be doing it on my own and would eventually like to have a co-host or guests on. I am just in the process of getting the "tech" end up and running and understanding it.  There are TONS of PC's out there, so I figure why not. What do I have to lose? Might just be my 4 dogs listening , but if I can educate them on the lyrical stylings of Bon Scott and DLR,,why Black Sabbath has some good material outside of Ozzy and Dio, and the importance/greatness of Dickey Betts in music,I made my point. 😋 

There are some really good shows out there. I recommend, The Deep Purple Podcast,State Of Amorica-Black Crowes,The DLR Cast,Dave and Dave Unchained,Booked on Rock,The Vinyl Guide,Classic Rock Album By Album, and Pod Of Thunder. All very good, knowledgeable,insightful and great senses of humor!!

If anyone out there has any insight into the world of podcasting I am all ears and ready to listen and learn. Hey that reminds me of the is song by early DP.

Posted : July 12, 2022 11:49 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

@bill_graham 

I don't know anyone on here - just respond to whatever interests me & may/may not get responses. If there are cliques, I haven't noticed, but I don't read every topic. 

I have to say the non-music stuff during early Covid was important given we have a doctor & some hospital supply chain workers on here who gave unfiltered reports from the front lines. Covid is re-appearing hard in NYS so it's definitely on my mind & this time is closer to home w/3 friends testing positive and 1 in ICU.

Posted : July 12, 2022 12:40 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

@jszfunk 

Podcasts are a great outlet even if only your 4 dogs listen. The only way to know is to do it. If you've got a lot of knowledge - & your posts sound like you do - share it. It's like any other emotional/artistic outlet - paint, write, play even if only a few see/hear it. Keeps a person sane.

Posted : July 12, 2022 1:00 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @cyclone88

@jszfunk 

Podcasts are a great outlet even if only your 4 dogs listen. The only way to know is to do it. If you've got a lot of knowledge - & your posts sound like you do - share it. It's like any other emotional/artistic outlet - paint, write, play even if only a few see/hear it. Keeps a person sane.

Yeah, I reached to a few different folks who do them , and they say what you did, just jump in and do it. I think I might be over thinking it a little to much.

Posted : July 12, 2022 1:20 pm
cyclone88 reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham I'm on old fan. I'm 75. First saw the band in 1970. 

Dickey and Jaimoe are the only one's left and we have musicians who were in the band later in its history but they apparently are not that interested in the band now and understandably so. They have their own bands and projects and guys like Derek, Warren, Jack and even Chuck and Otiel want to leave their own legacy. Not to be solely remembered for carrying on the legacy begun by others. 

I enjoy TTB and Gov't Mule and appreciate their ABB connection but be it age or how I physically feel, they just don't rock my world like the original ABB. 

Guess my best days and music is in the rear view mirror now but I appreciate ALL ABB fans and willing to talk anytime I'm online. 

Posted : July 12, 2022 1:47 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@kcjimmy 

LOL, kc, yes music is my main vice now that I am older. In fact, other than family, that and sports are my main passions now and enjoy discussing them as arguing politics is basically useless as you will never change peoples minds which is why I rarely comment to those topics here.

I don't see you posting much here so why not participate in JSZ's music posts as I am sure everyone would love to hear your opinions

Posted : July 12, 2022 1:51 pm
Bill_Graham
(@bill_graham)
Famed Member

@robertdee 

Always enjoy your posts on music and your memories of concerts past. I will be 67 this coming November so was too young to see the Duane era ABB so love hearing your stories. 

Don't ever let anyone complaining about you straying off topic discourage you from posting as most don't bother posting and your posts are very interesting.

You have forgotten more about ABB and the members than I will ever know so please continue to share you knowledge.

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Bill_Graham

Posted : July 12, 2022 1:54 pm
jszfunk reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@bill_graham Thank you. I was so into the Allman Brothers in the 1970's I had their history memorized. But lately I'm getting a little forgetful about some details. In the old days a lot of what I heard came from the other fans and roadies and soundboard operators. Berry Oakley would answer questions occasionally. Berry seem to be concerned tickets not get too expensive and that shirts etc bought at the shows were decent quality. 

I'm trying to not get too far a field from the original topic. I wasn't careful about that before. Suddenly I could see myself I had gone way off and was on something not related to the thread. 

Posted : July 12, 2022 10:54 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
Illustrious Member

So, if you have any engaging topics & shared info, that would be good.

I probably don't.  The only news I read these days are economic stories and it's about football season so that will pretty much occupy all my time starting about now

Posted : July 13, 2022 3:07 pm
cyclone88 reacted
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

@nebish 

LOL! I stopped reading the news completely in about 2015. I won't read anything now that Wimbledon is over. It's much healthier to not read it IMO. I always enjoyed topics you raised.

Posted : July 13, 2022 3:22 pm
Share: