Freedom Isn't Free Saluting Veterans Today

3 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Wanted to thank all those before us (or continuing to serve today) that through there service have provided the freedoms that we all have enjoyed and too often take for granted.

My father-in-law was a WWII veteran in the Navy and I had two uncles that served, one in the Navy and one in the Army. My cousin's husband is also a Navy veteran. I thank them all.

Captain Skipper was a Vietnam veteran and I'm so proud to have had him as a friend.

Feel free to highlight the patriotism of any of your families.

Freedom is certainly not free.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : May 29, 2023 6:42 pm
Jack_Frost reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Want to ditto what Oldcoot said. 

This probably shouldn't be on this site but it's just 10 minutes and very well done. 

It's the story of a B17 which was shot up so badly over Germany a German fighter pilot couldn't believe a plane in that shape could still be flying. And it wasn't returning fire as the tail gunner was apparently dead and his area blown away. 

The German fighter pilot showed mercy on some desperate human beings and what happened was kept a secret by the Americans to prevent the German pilot from being executed. 

It's a beautiful story and what happened to these two men after the war was so special! 

Posted : May 30, 2023 7:24 am
Jack_Frost
(@jack_frost)
Reputable Member

IMG 20230528 175718

I actually went to the Memorial Day ceremony they had at the National Cemetery that's local to me. They even had a World War II vet show up; there can't be many of them left. It was moving and I took a friend of mine who is a Vietnam vet with COPD and I'm glad I went.

Posted : May 31, 2023 5:55 pm
Share: