FANNY: The Right To Rock - Official Film Trailer

11 Posts
6 Users
2 Likes
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I ran across this while surfing YouTube. Never heard of them.

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : May 9, 2021 10:30 am
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I can't remember them either. But they were working for someone in the record business. 

"THE RECORD BUSINESS IS A CROOKED DIRTY BUSINESS!!!!"

Posted : May 9, 2021 2:39 pm
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

This is the studio version of One Way Out by Sonny Boy Williamson. I think Buddy Guy is on the electric guitar. Sonny Boy was a fantastic harmonica player.

Case in point Marshall Sehorn who discovered Lee Dorsey and was an A&R man, producer and owner of the Sea-Saint Recording Studio in New Orleans and Sansu Records which signed Betty Wright whom was cheated out of writing royalties. Sehorn would loan money or sign someone and get his name of songs as co-writer but actually didn't write anything. The same thing Steve Alaimo did to Gregg Allman. Gregory was broke and Alaimo said he would loan him $500.00 for a credit on Melissa then wanted $10,000.00 to get his name off of it. 

Sehorn has been sued by several artists including Betty Right, B. J. Thomas, The Shirelles etc.

This song was written by Sonny Boy and Elmore James but Marshall Sehorn gets (got he died in 2006) a cut too. Eat A Peach and 1969-1979 A Decade of Hits both sold over 2 million copies and this song recorded live at the Fillmore East is on both of them. 

Here is another good version by the ABB.

It's a crooked dirty business. People with money and connections make money off of other people's talent. Gregg said Steve Alaimo didn't write ONE WORD OR NOTE of Melissa yet made 10s of thousands of dollars off that song just for loaning Gregg $500.00 bucks then playing hardball to getting his name off the song. 

This post was modified 3 years ago 5 times by robertdee

Posted : May 9, 2021 3:05 pm
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

Ridiculously underrated and underappreciated band in my opinion. My all-time favorite all female rock group by far. Here they are tearing it up at the Beat Club for German TV in 1971...

Those gals could rock up a storm along with the best of 'em!

Posted : May 9, 2021 7:16 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Got turned on to them years ago here on the boards - their song Ain’t That Peculiar was posted, fantastic w/a killer piano intro - delved into em, great musicians, was surprised I hadn’t heard of em b4 - they played two dates at the FEast late May 1971 opening for Lee Michaels

This post was modified 3 years ago by Stephen

Posted : May 9, 2021 7:24 pm
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

Here's another video clip of them from a French TV show around 1972...

Posted : May 10, 2021 8:27 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member

Fanny is rad. Glad they are in the spotlight again.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : May 10, 2021 8:45 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Famed Member

I remember, "Charity Ball" and that (at least one record?) they were produced by Todd Rundgren.  

Were they a novelty?  A gimmick?  If they were all that shouldn't we be way more familiar with them?  Just axin.

Posted : May 10, 2021 9:05 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I like them too. I am perplexed why I had not heard of them. I was aware of some rather obscure bands and artists over the years. But missed them some how. 

Only a tiny percentage of the talented bands and artists will ever become as rich and famous as Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, AC-DC etc. Obviously becoming super famous and super wealthy in the band business is not just talent and chops alone. 

Posted : May 10, 2021 10:43 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Posted by: @psy

Here's another video clip of them from a French TV show around 1972...

Solid cover of Badge!

Everyone has a plan, till you get punched in the face,

Posted : May 10, 2021 11:34 am
Psy
 Psy
(@psy)
Reputable Member

'Ace of Cups' and 'Birtha' are a couple more of my favorite all-female rock groups from that same era that, in my opinion, also didn't get as much attention as they should have...

Posted : May 10, 2021 12:56 pm
Share: