6 Users
8 Likes
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

Enjoyed that interview. Lots of new insight into Derek. Derek has so many cool influences. And Fillmore East, Layla album and Eat A Peach is the foundation of Derek's music evolution. 

His use of old school amps and equipment in the studio was interesting. I'm still playing the latest part of the new albums most of the day and really enjoying it. 

I remember Derek at a Derek Trucks Band show I saw didn't play a SG. It was some kind of Washburn guitar and I saw Derek in an advertisement for Washburn about that time. So that is one endorsement Derek must of had. 

I didn't know Derek was good friends with Tommy Talton. I still remember being impressed with Tommy on the three solo Gregg Allman shows I saw in 1974. The December 74 show didn't have the strings and two drummers. Only Bill Stewart. Jaimoe wasn't there. 

Man Tommy also is a good slide player. Here on his Dreams solo Tommy gets his slide on top of the bridge! Way past the neck and most of the body:) 

Posted : June 15, 2022 6:20 pm
Rusty and PorkchopBob reacted
islalala
(@islalala)
Honorable Member

I too learned some things from that.

Aside from the obligatory "what's it like being in a band with your wife?", I always enjoy interviewers who drive at the more technical and creative aspects of a musician's craft and that Italian did a really good job with that. Bravo!

Posted : June 16, 2022 9:40 am
porkchopbob
(@porkchopbob)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

@robertdee

Derek is always a great chat, never giving superficial answers.

Derek played a Washburn really early, I think around the time of his first album.

IMG 0953

And I love Tommy's slide playing on "Dreams" from the Gregg Allman Tour, different but fits that lineup's take on the song perfectly. It's makes sense Derek would befriend all of these musicians  whose footsteps he's followed in.

PorkchopBob Studio

Posted : June 16, 2022 10:24 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@porkchopbob Yes I remember in the 90's going to a Derek Trucks Band show at a little club and was surprised he played a Washburn guitar rather than the SG he had been using. I had never noticed a musician play one before but had seen them in music stores. Not long after the show I noticed Derek in an advertisement in a guitar magazine promoting a Washburn. Derek seemed to be close to how he sounded before on an SG.  Maybe Derek is like the guitarist he mentioned in the interview above who plugged a guitar with a price tag dangling from the neck he had never played into a modern digital amp (Derek said he has a vintage amp and guitar in his personal set up) and Derek in your interview said to his amazement he still sounded the same. It's in these old pros fingers according to Derek. Well Derek Trucks is an old pro now. One of the best slide and lead guitarists out there today. Derek probably could play anything and sound real close to his signature sound. 

As to Tommy Talton, I bought a Cowboy album in 1972 because I read they were one of Duane Allman's favorite bands. But I had not seen Tommy and Scott play until the Gregg Allman Tour in 1974. Yes I liked Tommy's work on slide guitar. It was different of course than Duane and I think in 1972, 73 and 74 the Allman Brothers Band no longer played Dreams, Don't Keep Me Wondering and Stand Back probably because of loosing Duane, so Gregg put Dreams and Stanback in his solo show with Tommy on slide. I remember Tommy had a metal slide but didn't remember he apparently used a pick because he does on the video I posted. 

Thank you for the interview! I'm staying inside most of the time now and it fun to get these things to enjoy and pass the time.  

Posted : June 16, 2022 12:12 pm
PorkchopBob reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

A year or so ago I listened to Derek Trucks in an interview and he talked about listening to mostly horn players in recent years rather than guitarists. Jaimoe had Duane, Dickey, Berry, Gregg and Butch listening to horn bands very early in the ABB and Dickey said Duane was influenced by Jesse Ed Davis on slide but more so Duane's slide was influenced by harmonica players. 

I saw this on YouTube some years ago and found it. It's interesting to me how trombone players are similar to slide guitar players in that you hear them slide from one note to another. Some may find this short video interesting. 

Posted : June 16, 2022 12:35 pm
cyclone88 reacted
MartinD28
(@martind28)
Famed Member

Posted by: @robertdee

Enjoyed that interview. Lots of new insight into Derek. Derek has so many cool influences. And Fillmore East, Layla album and Eat A Peach is the foundation of Derek's music evolution. 

His use of old school amps and equipment in the studio was interesting. I'm still playing the latest part of the new albums most of the day and really enjoying it. 

I remember Derek at a Derek Trucks Band show I saw didn't play a SG. It was some kind of Washburn guitar and I saw Derek in an advertisement for Washburn about that time. So that is one endorsement Derek must of had. 

I didn't know Derek was good friends with Tommy Talton. I still remember being impressed with Tommy on the three solo Gregg Allman shows I saw in 1974. The December 74 show didn't have the strings and two drummers. Only Bill Stewart. Jaimoe wasn't there. 

Man Tommy also is a good slide player. Here on his Dreams solo Tommy gets his slide on top of the bridge! Way past the neck and most of the body:) 

I just finished recording & mixing some new tunes I wrote. Tommy played lead & slide on several of these. Very talented musician & good guy. I've always loved his playing from the Cowboy days. I too saw dates on the mid '70's Gregg orchestra tour with Tommy playing lead & slide. I'll post a few of the new tunes soon.

Posted : June 16, 2022 2:29 pm
cyclone88 reacted
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@martind28 Okay. Very cool. 

I remember Chuck Leavell and Cowboy were on the fall tour but Jaimoe wasn't with Bill Stewart on drums. Just Bill. Also the orchestra wasn't on the fall dates. 

Posted : June 16, 2022 2:37 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

Great interview!

I love Derek’s take on things

i wish I could hear that trio with Derek, Smalley, and Sipe

Posted : June 16, 2022 7:21 pm
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

@robertdee 

Interesting re Jaimoe & horns. When I think about it, the early rock guys didn't have much else as a reference for technique & sound other than jazz/orchestral instruments. Zappa started in the 60s influenced by violins he heard in his mom's orchestral recordings of Stravinsky even though it was R&B that stirred his general interest in music. 

Posted : June 17, 2022 9:32 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@cyclone88 Yes I've heard Zappa was influenced by violin players early in life. 

Jaimoe getting the other five to soak up Miles and horn bands had a big influence on the early ABB. I remember Butch saying they didn't know music could be played like that. 

There is an African American who critiques all kinds of music on his YouTube space and I watched him listen to In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed from At Fillmore East. There is a place in Dickey Betts' solo where the guy breaks in and says that is straight from Miles Davis. He's been listening to Miles. The Fillmore version of Liz Reed is as PERFECT performance that can be played live from start to finish. Jaimoe playing that jazz bag to the others I'm sure contributed to that. 

I was curious about Tommy Dorsey playing the SLIDE trombone in my post above and who was very famous in the 1930's and 1940's. Tommy's I'll Never Smile Again with Sinatra on vocals was huge selling over 1 MILLION copies in 1940. When did he pass on? 

Can you believe it was DRUGS??? I was stunned. Tommy Dorsey began abusing sleeping pills which made him very sedated at night and he choked to death after a heavy meal at his home in 1956 at age 51!! So young. And so similar to Hendrick's death. 

Posted : June 17, 2022 10:13 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

I can't find the one I to which I was referring. But here is another man and he also says Miles Davis when Dickey plays. 

This man thinks Miles was influenced by the ABB. But it was the other way around I think. 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by robertdee

Posted : June 17, 2022 10:47 am
cyclone88
(@cyclone88)
Noble Member

@robertdee 

And it's no secret that Sinatra attributed his breath control to those years w/Tommy Dorsey & watching how he did it. 

Posted : June 17, 2022 11:59 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Famed Member

@cyclone88 Yes I read that more than once. And a female singer Jo Stafford said the same. Said she would be behind Tommy and he would do a 16 bar solo and never see Tommy's coat move. If he took a breath, and he apparently did, you couldn't really notice it:) 

This post was modified 2 years ago by robertdee

Posted : June 17, 2022 12:31 pm
cyclone88 reacted
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Noble Member

@cyclone88 

That's interesting because MIles said that Sinatra (and Billie Holiday) were both major influences on his phrasing

Posted : June 17, 2022 4:53 pm
cyclone88 reacted
Share: