Something - Pattie Boyd

Suite Judy Blue Eyes - Judy Collins

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 6:50 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

CSN, Suite Judy

cant think of any songs about emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Stevie Nicks.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 16, 2020 6:51 pm
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Peach Pro

Rita Coolidge
Cherokee, Sit Yourself Down (Stephen Stills);
Delta Lady, A Song For You (Leon Russell)

Jenny Boyd
Jennifer Juniper (Donovan)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2020 3:29 am
Zambi
(@zambi)
Extreme Peach

Does Uptown Girl by Billy Joel count?  I know Christie Brinkley was in the music video and eventually they married, but I believe it was written when he was dating Elle McPherson and is actually about her, or perhaps rather she was the inspiration.

I suppose we could argue the "incredible songs" part of the thread title....

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2020 1:49 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Peach Extraordianire

Don't really think any level of physical beauty had much to do with it but Lennon's song "Julia" about his Mother is certainly a beautiful song.

"Y'all know the Fire Marshal...the cat that can't get the job as a policeman." Duane Allman

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2020 7:12 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @stephen

CSN, Suite Judy

I didn't know Suite Judy Blue Eyes was about Judy Collins until last year during an interview on CBS Sunday Morning.  Not the first time I've been late to the party....

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2020 9:00 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @stephen

CSN, Suite Judy

Actually Lowell George wrote "Long Distance Love" about Ronstadt when they were living together and George was watching her paint her toenails one evening. 

"Y'all know the Fire Marshal...the cat that can't get the job as a policeman." Duane Allman

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 17, 2020 11:57 pm
stormyrider
(@stormyrider)
Peach Extraordianire

Didn’t know that. Love that song

And I Love Her- Jane Asher

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed though I forget the name of the woman Dickey wrote it about

This post was modified 2 months ago by stormyrider
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2020 7:01 am
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

The flip-side:  "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life ... "  I wonder what woman inspired this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2020 10:11 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Peach Extraordianire

"Rosanna" by Toto is about Rosanna Arquette

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2020 11:34 am
robertdee
(@robertdee)
Extreme Peach

Elizabeth Reed was written for Carmella Storniola of Seattle.  She died of a heart condition in 2017 at age 71. She moved to San Francisco in the 1960's where she became involved with Boz Scaggs.   She was dark and beautiful and vivacious.  She traveled to Macon with Boz and later married him. But before that she was attracted to Dickey Betts and he was to her. They had a part time affair when Dickey was in Macon and Boz was gone.  

Dickey was very attracted to her and the intensity of those feeling were captured in his composition In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. She did not want Boz Scaggs to know about the affair so Dickey needed a cover name for the song and chose a lady's name who was buried at Rose Hill in the 19th century. Dickey and other band members would hang in the cemetery in the early days when in town. Clapton eventually married Patti Boyd, (Layla) George Harrison's wife. Didn't work that way for Dickey. But Blue Sky did marry him and we got another wonderful song out of that. Not only are Elizabeth Reed and Blue Sky two of the absolute best ABB songs, but two of the best songs by ANY rock band IMHO

BTW I've been playing Blue Sky at least once every day since February1972 when Eat A Peach was released. And never get tired of it and enjoy it as much now as I did 48 years ago. 

Duane Allman was the spark and key to the ABB being such a fantastic band. But it wouldn't be half the band if Dickey hadn't been in it. Actually all six were just perfect. Butch often said it was if the god's said you six guys are to play music together. 

This post was modified 2 months ago by robertdee
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2020 4:13 pm
StratDal and harvey liked
steved
(@steved)
Extreme Peach

Amen to that Robertdee!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2020 4:32 pm
StratDal
(@stratdal)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @robertdee

Elizabeth Reed was written for Carmella Storniola of Seattle.  She died of a heart condition in 2017 at age 71. She moved to San Francisco in the 1960's where she became involved with Boz Scaggs.   She was dark and beautiful and vivacious.  She traveled to Macon with Boz and later married him. But before that she was attracted to Dickey Betts and he was to her. They had a part time affair when Dickey was in Macon and Boz was gone.  

Dickey was very attracted to her and the intensity of those feeling were captured in his composition In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. She did not want Boz Scaggs to know about the affair so Dickey needed a cover name for the song and chose a lady's name who was buried at Rose Hill in the 19th century. Dickey and other band members would hang in the cemetery in the early days when in town. Clapton eventually married Patti Boyd, (Layla) George Harrison's wife. Didn't work that way for Dickey. But Blue Sky did marry him and we got another wonderful song out of that. Not only are Elizabeth Reed and Blue Sky two of the absolute best ABB songs, but two of the best songs by ANY rock band IMHO

BTW I've been playing Blue Sky at least once every day since February1972 when Eat A Peach was released. And never get tired of it and enjoy it as much now as I did 48 years ago. 

Duane Allman was the spark and key to the ABB being such a fantastic band. But it wouldn't be half the band if Dickey hadn't been in it. Actually all six were just perfect. Butch often said it was if the god's said you six guys are to play music together. 

Nice!  The road goes on forever...! 😎 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2020 6:43 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @robertdee

Dickey was very attracted to her and the intensity of those feeling were captured in his composition In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. She did not want Boz Scaggs to know about the affair so Dickey needed a cover name for the song and chose a lady's name who was buried at Rose Hill in the 19th century.

In Midnight Riders, Dickey recalled an early interview about this

”Some writer once asked me how I wrote the song, & Duane said, ‘Aw he [boffed] some girl across the tombstone & that’s what it’s about’ & don’t you think it got printed In an instant. You can imagine how the girl I wrote it for felt after that”

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2020 8:12 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

John’s & Paul’s odes to their wives as the Beatles were ending, The Lovely Linda, & Oh Yoko! are two of my faves by them - 

also on topic (hopefully😮), Every Night, also from McCartney - Maybe I’m Amazed... pretty much that whole album ❤️ 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2020 8:35 pm
Jarwolfs
(@jarwolfs)
Peach Pit

Well, I don't know how "beautiful" she was, but she had a beautiful voice.  The Dead wrote Birdsong about Janis.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2020 11:02 am
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Peach Pro

Didn't Gregg write Multi-Colored Lady for Devon's mum, Shelley Kay Jefts?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2020 11:59 am
VTAB
 VTAB
(@vtab)
Peach Master

Go where you wanna go - Mommas & Poppas about Michele being too much woman for any one dude. She was married to John Phillips at the time

and Buffing Denny. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 20, 2020 8:55 am
VTAB
 VTAB
(@vtab)
Peach Master

Go your own way - Lindsay & Stevie Nicks

Just a couple that popped up in the last day or so 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 20, 2020 8:56 am
steved
(@steved)
Extreme Peach

Does Little Martha count - Dixie Meadows.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 20, 2020 4:48 pm
Share: