Remembering Duane Allman’s Brushes with the Jazz World

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thought I would post this link, nothing really new in the article, although it's always nice to see articles about Duane. It mentions Derek covering Kirk's “Volunteered Slavery” but it doesn't mention Kirk used to quote extensively from “Hey Jude” whilst playing “Volunteered Slavery” which I'm sure Duane would have jumped on if they ever got to jam for obvious reasons.

https://somethingelsereviews.com/2020/07/13/duane-allman-herbie-mann-rahsaan-roland-kirk/

Posted : July 15, 2020 8:53 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Duane and the band actually played onstage twice with Kirk, back to back nights in '71. It was ABB shows so the songs would have been from the ABB catalog.

Very possible that that could have led to Duane doing some studio work with RRK. Tragically, Duane was gone a month later.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : July 15, 2020 5:55 pm
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I didn't know Kirk played with the Brothers. I couldn't find any reference to that in the event calendar, any idea of dates?

I know Dick Griffin, who played trombone with Kirk, played with the Brothers a number of times at the Beacon and that Jaimoe sat in with the Dick Griffin Band but not that Kirk played with the Brothers. Good to know.

Posted : July 16, 2020 2:14 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

Back to back nights 9/26 & 9/27/71. Houston & Dallas.

A long time ago a site member mentioned having 8mm film from the 9/26 Houston show. Some frames showed Kirk playing two saxophones simultaneously. I believe the footage was eventually sold on eBay, frame by frame or as several frames together, can't really remember now.

Posted : July 16, 2020 7:06 am
CrossEyedCat
(@crosseyedcat)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the info. Interesting selling it frame by frame. I took a look around the site to try and find more information about the film and found a thread stating Kirk was on the same bill as the ABB on 14 December 1970 at the Hynes Auditorium, Boston http://allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=62399

Posted : July 17, 2020 6:17 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

It’s only be a Slight treat if anything w/RRK was included in the planned Texas 71 release:) - Kirk West would’ve said so tho in the recent interview

Posted : July 19, 2020 1:18 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

It’s only be a Slight treat if anything w/RRK was included in the planned Texas 71 release:) - Kirk West would’ve said so tho in the recent interview

Sure about that?

Posted : July 19, 2020 4:39 pm
Share: