I was fortunate to be at this show. To set the record straight on a couple of things:
1) The band performed two shows that night. I attended the earlier one and my roomate at the time attended the late one.
2) I am 95% certain that the material that is in circulation is from the early show.
3) Blue Sky was performed during the early show. There was no Mountain Jam or Whipping Post during the early show.
4) The encore for the early show was a thunderous version of Hot ‘lanta. This closed out a set that from start to finish was truly incredible. 30 years later several other friends who also attended still listed it as their favorite show of all time.
5) The mystery as to why Blue Sky and the rest of the material has never surfaced- At some point during the show management from the Allman Brothers became aware that a soundboard recording was being made and as per contract agreement, requested that recording cease (what my roomate, who was in student government, told me at the time). If there are reel to reel tapes for the show probably everything on them has been in circulation already. But what a treat it would be to hear a pristine copy at last.
My favorite from the show was IMOER. Duane’s work on it was as good or better than any of the other versions from that period. Dickie also really extended himself during his solo.
There was just so much overwhelming joy and cohesiveness to the group’s playing. At several points during the show I felt like I was being lifted into sonic heaven. I always feel blessed that I was there that night.
Now let’s get that CD out already!