The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

NFL: Training Camps Open Soon!

Page 33 / 34
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Justin Fields to the Bears....good luck Sang!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2021 9:47 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @nebish

Turning it on now, what did I miss, Aaron Rodgers get traded yet?

I just listened to Adam Schefter on ESPN Radio and they talked about this. He said people were wondering about the timing of the announcement, including me. Seemed funny. He said it was just a coincidence and that it could have been reported a month or two ago. I guess San Fran called the Packers yesterday to ask about it and they said no. It does still seem that he wants out though. And I doubt them drafting a CB helps the team's chances of changing Rodgers' mind.

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 30, 2021 9:33 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

So what did everyone think of the draft? I watched most of it and could understand almost all of the picks except for the Packers as I just mentioned. The Bears trading up was very smart. They were in a good position although they gave up quite a bit. 

I liked the Lions pick. That guy is a beast. Poor Matt Stafford is probably shaking his head in California asking "where the hell was the offensive line for the past 10 years?"

Loved Atlanta taking Kyle Pitts. Obviously that means they are sticking with Matt Ryan for a few more years. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 30, 2021 9:38 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Wish I had something for you Lee.  I tuned in late last night and then only had it for background.  And I think it is on tonight, but I am not tuned in.  Hopefully there are many all pros in the making being drafted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 30, 2021 11:33 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Rolled through some TV channels this morning...Good Morning Football was discussing "best draft day outfit", oh jeez!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 1, 2021 8:41 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

I'm looking at the list of players picked now.

Have to say the AFC East QB situation is going to be very interesting to watch unfold.  Jets go Zach Wilson at #2 and then later the Patriots select Mac Jones.  Assuming those QBs get starts in the very near future, that will make Buffalo's Josh Allen the old seasoned vet of the division!

I've noticed that some teams frequently draft players and positions from certain schools.  May be a coincidence, or not.  Green Bay drafts another Center from Ohio State.  Chargers draft another DB from Florida State.  The Steelers drafted a Penn St TE a few years ago and again in the 1st rd this year.  Dallas replaces one retiring LB (Sean Lee) with another Penn St LB in this draft.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 1, 2021 8:57 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee CB for Green Bay makes a lot of sense - did you see Kevin King get burned in the NFC Championship? Center and a WR since then, all solid picks that are legit needs.

Regarding Rodgers, who know? The sports media has been pushing a variation on this story every offseason, did the same thing with Favre. This could be draft day posturing or just a way to create some noise. I think it's odd Aaron Jones would re-sign if he didn't think Rodgers was coming back. It could also be legit since Rodgers hasn't denied it. He resides in LA and is now married, the three teams he has reportedly requested are all on or near the west coast.

I think Packers fans know Rodgers doesn't want to be there when Love's 3-year rookie contract is up, having been on the other end of it. Everyone knows if it isn't this year, it's next year. I can see both sides - it's not like the Packers haven't had success the past 2 seasons. But how many NFC Championship L's does each side want to collect? But maybe Rodgers saw Brady's 2020 season and wants to go to a team that is all-in rather than playing the long game like the Packers always are.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 1, 2021 9:53 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

I think I would rather poke my eyes out then sit through watching the draft...painful. Thats wasted time I will never get back.  I would rather pull it up online and look at in a few minutes then watch and listen to that mess.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2021 8:20 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@jszfunk I never watch the draft either, especially now that it's a 4-day affair.

Hopefully they've put Mel Kiper back in his cryo-sleep chamber until next year.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2021 9:34 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Anyone see Arlington Race Track in suburban Chicago is up for sale? It was a big deal as the potential as the Last Kentucky Derby being viewed there is a possibility. There is scuttlebutt that the Bears could buy the property and build a stadium. I didn't realize Soldier Field is the smallest NFL Stadium. I guess there have been rumors about this for a long time. Our mayor even addressed it this week. There is a lot to digest. Soldier Field as actually owned by The Park District. The Bears have a lease until 2033 I think it is but given all of the politicos here I imagine there is a way to get out of the lease sooner. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 4, 2021 10:38 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@porkchopbob

I think Denver would be a good "win now" opportunity. I also saw that New Orleans might be in the mix. Trade both their QBs and whatever else they can offer. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 4, 2021 10:52 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee

The longer Rodgers stays silent the more I think we've seen the last of Aaron in green and gold. If it wasn't this year, it would definitely be next year - he won't stick around to see if they move on with Love when his 3-year deal is up the following season. I think he just wants control of his own destiny.

The Packers don't like drama, but I don't think they will budge any time soon. They don't want another QB, especially Teddy Bridgewater, and New Orleans isn't going to give up on Taysom Hill just for 1-2 years with Rodgers. The Raiders is an odd choice given that Carr has actually been a bright spot even though he's only had 1 winning season. My guess is the Packers would want draft picks, and Rodgers wants to stay closer to the west coast.

It's a big mystery, I never thought Favre would be a Jet, so who knows.

Made me realize, of the major sports leagues, the NFL has the fewest teams on the west coast, even though they were the first league to have a team there (LA Rams, 1946).

NFL (4/32) Seattle, SF, LA Rams, LA Chargers
MLB (6/30) Seattle, SF, Oak, SD, Anaheim, LA
NBA (5/30) LA Lakers, LA Clippers, GS, Sac, Portland
NHL (5/32) LA Kings, Anaheim, Vancouver, Sharks, and now the Kraken

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2021 11:17 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Wasn't sure which thread to put this in but since there is no Pokemon thread 😉 , I put it here. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/target-halts-sports-pokemon-trading-card-sales-after-fight-breaks-out-050501463.html

Unreal. A gun? Wow!

But I guess this could explain part of the prior link.

https://sports.yahoo.com/which-2021-nfl-rookie-trading-cards-you-should-invest-in-235438987.html

Nebish in only a couple of states away, he could have been involved. 😛 😛 😛 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 18, 2021 7:43 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @lee

Wasn't sure which thread to put this in but since there is no Pokemon thread 😉 , I put it here. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/target-halts-sports-pokemon-trading-card-sales-after-fight-breaks-out-050501463.html

Unreal. A gun? Wow!

But I guess this could explain part of the prior link.

https://sports.yahoo.com/which-2021-nfl-rookie-trading-cards-you-should-invest-in-235438987.html

Nebish in only a couple of states away, he could have been involved. 😛 😛 😛 

Haha!  I read about that Target story.

Trading cards, sport and non-sport just keep setting record prices auction after auction.

My son-in-law does these "breaks", people buy in with a team, each team costs different based on how many high dollar cards potentially could be found with that particular team.  It's usually well over 100 to buy in, a lot of people get skunked losing money - and the cards are like 3 per pack sometimes.  It is crazy.  The cards they are after the high dollar flavor of the month rare parallel foil signature whatever it's called bring dollar amounts that boggle my mind.

Certainly doesn't seem sustainable, but what else does right now?

I only buy and collect 1989-and-older stuff and I am kind of a seasonal collector, plus right now, it is extremely hard to justify buying anything at these prices.  People get away with it, they buy, hold for a few weeks and then flip and make money.  Values just going up up up and up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 18, 2021 8:05 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @nebish

I only buy and collect 1989-and-older stuff and I am kind of a seasonal collector, plus right now, it is extremely hard to justify buying anything at these prices.  People get away with it, they buy, hold for a few weeks and then flip and make money.  Values just going up up up and up.

Agreed. The older cards have more "feel" if you will. I could tell you a million stories as I imagine you could as well about collecting cards. I was a dealer in the early 90s. This was when the card companies ruined the hobby for a long time so I never made much money. But it was fun for a while. When the companies were printing cards 25 hours a day, 8 days a week they killed themselves.

I scraped some money together to buy some Topps stock as they were publicly traded. I think they were actually on the NYSE. Followed it every day. Lost interest and haven't followed it in years. I think they are listed again, got bought out, split, I don't know.

This thing now isn't collectors of course. It is speculators. I wouldn't even call them investors because I truly believer this is going to blow up and I wouldn't want to be the last guy holding the bag if I put much money into it. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 18, 2021 9:24 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Yeah Lee, baseball got ruined first.  I have always only bought football 99% of the time.  Saw baseball get ruined first with the "junk wax" and flooding the market and the over production.  Then it came to football, and it got ruined too.  That is why I only have interest in 1989 and earlier football.  Truth be known, my current interest is really in 1955 and earlier.  The old stuff is just so cool.  But like anything, you have to watch what it is, has it been 'cleaned' 'trimmed' 'doctored' in some way shape or form.

I might say that some of what is happening now is investors, but at the same time I can't argue with you in saying that it is speculators, just blindly buying say a Joe Namath or Joe Montana rookie card (graded of course these days) and holding it then flipping it and making profit.  I think I said it before, but if anyone was ever wanting to sell their collection, now is the absolute time to do it.  Most of the interest is in name players and short prints graded highly, but if one has very strong condition raw cards, the right card, the right player can sell for a ton of money.  Like a Paul Krause rookie or a Bob Hayes rookie, NrMt raw will sell for several multiples over what supposed book value is.  I've seen really really nice commons from 1962 or 1963 Topps football, book says they are like $25-35 card in NrMt condition, they sell for over $100.  The idea is there are these people, I guess collectors, who want the highest grade or very high grade cards and they buy raw then get them graded and they have some extra high dollar value card.  Guess, what?  The grading companies caught on.  Not only is it like a full year to get your stuff back, but I think PSA moved to a $100 per card grading fee!  Becket was still $20 I think.  For now.

Don't even think about unopened wax, unfortunately for me, I have a liking for unopened wax.  Thankfully I bought some about 15-20 years ago.  It is 5-10x multiples higher now.  I'm almost crazy for not selling what I have.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 18, 2021 11:46 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

WFT? WTF owner rules out ‘Warriors’ for potential team name

seems to me a hoop team out west has done the name proud

they’ll either remove the interim tag from WFT

….or just call themselves the Americans - it’d go along w/their other teams, the Nationals & Capitals - politically-correct Redskins fans could insert ‘Native’ in front of it if they wanted to - being in the nation’s capital it would help to bring in new fans w/the flag-waving ‘America’s Team’ perception/image, ya de da de da……..

they’ll wait until the NBA finals are over &  use strategic timing to have max exposure for The Grand Unveiling

…of the completely overhauled/rebranded team formerly known as the Redskins

….as a loud collective Yawn echoes across the sports world

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 13, 2021 9:59 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @stephen

WFT? WTF owner rules out ‘Warriors’ for potential team name

seems to me a hoop team out west has done the name proud

they’ll either remove the interim tag from WFT

Washington already announced they will unveil the new name in 2022. They stated there's nothing wrong with "warriors" as a name, just that they want to distance themselves from more of the same (Marquette University did the same thing over a decade ago). Regardless, Washington Warriors would be pretty dumb. Washington Americans makes no sense as they are in the NFC and not the AFC.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2021 9:31 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

“The [rebranded] Washington Americans play in the NFC East”

don’t see the nonsense in that - 

had thought the unveiling was this summer - it’ll’ve been almost a 3 year process whenever they do get around to it - that’s ridiculous - but yeah, divisional alignment might factor into the rebrand process as well

bet they’ll stay w/their acronym, it’s dull as dishwater so no one has been offended so far, & after 3 years no one will give a hoot anyway

or Americans🇺🇸 - still see that as sensible/viable etc🤙

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2021 10:26 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @stephen

“The [rebranded] Washington Americans play in the NFC East”

don’t see the nonsense in that - 

I mentioned this here once before, but the "Nationals" and "Americans" names have always referred to the League the team plays in and Washington in the National Football Conference. They could still call themselves "Americans" since people living in DC live on an American continent, but that's incredibly broad reach for a mascot. I would think they would pick something a little more brandable (or DC-specific) since they are sticking with the burgundy and yellow.

had thought the unveiling was this summer - it’ll’ve been almost a 3 year process whenever they do get around to it - that’s ridiculous -

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/10/washington-football-team-will-unveil-new-name-and-logo-in-early-2022/

It will actually be under 2 years (Summer 2020-Spring 2022) which is not a very long time for a complete re-branding (especially one that was sudden and not by choice). Most corporate re-brands take several years of concept and design. The process of re-designing jerseys without renaming often takes 2-3 years. Factor in that this involves merchandise and jerseys that have to be ready a year in advance, this is pretty quick. Most likely it has already been completed, they just couldn't get it done in time for the 2021 season.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2021 2:11 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Hadn’t known this but a CFL team, the Edmonton Eskimos, retired that name on July 21, 2020, and became the EE Football Team - ‘eskimos’ apparently fell into disfavor at some point

At any rate on June 1 of this year they began play as the Elks - don’t know if their ‘process’ differed from Wash’s 

I loved Pow Wow The Indian Boy as a kid

also played Cowboys & Indians a lot, & the Indians won as often as the cowboys

My dad, and my grandma too, loved Chief Wahoo & Tribe & passed it along

American Indian Jim Thorpe was so great they named a town after him

so that’s why the wholesale chucking of these proud historic symbols of a great people, as mascots of sports teams, in the name of being respectful, flies against my common sense 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 15, 2021 11:27 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

…..Washington All Americans?

an All American is considered a great football player, Albeit In The College Ranks Yes, but in this case it would demonstrate inclusivity ie a team All Americans would be proud to root for 

however you make a good point PCBob about their keeping their team colors, so wouldn’t happen - thx for reminder too, this had been discussed b4

🤙different subject, Jim Thorpe, All American - very good flick - one of the great sports ones - most anything w/Burt Lancaster is great

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 15, 2021 11:51 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I kind of get not naming a team the Warriors. There are a ton of teams that I guess you could question. Indians? Seminoles? Black Hawks? Chiefs? Golden State Warriors? Fill in the blank. Where is the outcry there?

Several years ago Eastern Michigan changed their name from the Hurons (a tribe) to the Eagles. Yet Central Michigan are the Chippewas (another tribe) and they kept their name. And they play in the same conference.

Remember when the Washington Wizards were the Bullets? I think they were in Baltimore at one point. They didn't want that name associated with violence so they changed it. 

All kind of the same thing I guess. 

In the movie Major League those doofs in the bleachers banging on drums. 

Couldn't do that today. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 16, 2021 4:04 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Good reference for preseason QB depth.  The Jets have no career NFL starts, not a single one in their depth chart!

2021 presason QB Depth
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2021 7:16 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Steeliz QB depth chart took a recent hit, but not as hard as the knuckle sandwich Dwayne Haskins ate recently from his wife - it’s the real deal, he needed medical attention, she’s got felony assault charges

Deshaun Watson so far is in the clear apparently for the preseason next month - wonder if Trevor Bauer’s case will impact his

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2021 9:10 pm
nebish liked
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

I played golf the other day with some conservative friends.  They told me they are no longer going to watch football because the NFL is going to play the black national anthem before every game.  What a bunch of snowflakes ... Crying  

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 19, 2021 1:36 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @sang

I played golf the other day with some conservative friends.  They told me they are no longer going to watch football because the NFL is going to play the black national anthem before every game.  What a bunch of snowflakes ... Crying  

To me, I think it is pandering, there is one national anthem.  I mean, I don't care, they can stop playing the national anthem before all these games.  I don't think a black national anthem does anything for anyone ... because what does a national anthem mean in the context of a sporting event anyway?  Who decided this was the place and time we should show our patriotism or sensitivity? 

Even if they want to play a half dozen national anthems before a game, the bottom line is what do I as a fan get out of the overall experience, do I get enjoyment and excitement from the event, is it good entertainment?  If the answer is yes, I really don't care if they get the players out of the local prison or catholic church or fly the hammer and sickle or old glory, I don't care if they turn their back on the flag or take a knee or have an American flag tattoo on their body.  I don't care if they paint "black lives matter" on the field or they paint "protect life" on the field.

Why people need to have positions and care about all this stuff in the context of sports these days is beyond me.  To think somebody is going to give up on something that was part of their life for so long with roots and history of tradition and memories just because of a song that gets played before a game?  I don't get it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2021 1:41 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

This is the time of year when I'm like, "wait, football is almost back?" I'm never ready for fall sports in the middle of Summer. But by September I'm ready to grill some brats and watch some foolsball. Maybe by then Aaron Rodgers situation will finally get sorted out, which has been bizarrely speculative.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 26, 2021 9:25 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

DeShaun Watson shows up to camp. He still wants to be traded. Not sure why any other team would want to take him on at the moment. As great as he is...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 26, 2021 10:52 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@porkchopbob 

Do you think Rodgers will show up tomorrow? I think he might eventually but I kind of doubt tomorrow. I'm sick of hearing about it. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 26, 2021 10:54 am
Page 33 / 34
Share: