Clear all

NFL: Opening Night Tonight!

Page 32 / 35
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @porkchopbob

@lee I guess they promised Dalton he would be the starter, which isn't a terrible option (especially considering the low bar the Bears have set for QBs). Makes more sense considering the contract.

Did you see how much they were reportedly willing to give up for Russell Wilson? Surprised they didn't try to throw in Hershel Walker.

What do they have to offer? Soldier Field? The Sears Tower? They hardly have draft picks. Yeah getting Mack was smart. 🙄 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 19, 2021 10:21 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@lee Not only were players fleeing Detroit like never before thanks to Patricia, but Stafford listed the Pats as a team he would not accept a trade to. Dude just wasn't ready for the big head set. From Dan Campbell's press conferences thus far, it sounds like they hired the exact opposite of Patricia.

Forgot about Stafford saying no New England. Good point. And who knows about Campbell. Maybe he's trying to portray himself as a player's coach but his first press conference seemed odd to me.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 19, 2021 10:26 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee

Chicago offered three first-round picks, a third-round pick, and two unnamed starters for Wilson.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2021 11:01 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Yes, Matt Patricia joined the long line of Lions coaches unable to win 

never knew their longest-tenured player is still active - they’re bringing him back for his 18th season (long snapper)

had also never heard of Brett Periman, listed as one of Lions greats (WR) after they signed his son, but am not a fan either

don’t see much changing but w/new management/coach/players, mayb Goff & co will thrive in the new coach’s macho “biting kneecaps” culture 

that was a classy farewell to Detroit by Stafford👍

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2021 11:44 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@stephen Caldwell was successful in Detroit. Even crazy Jim Schwartz and Bobby Ross got the Lions to the playoffs. Marinelli and Marty-defer-in-OT-Morningwheg were the two super duds, but that fallow period was mostly the fault of GM Matt Millen - even Mooch couldn't win with Joey Harrington.

Patricia knew his X's and O's but didn't understand players, not ready for prime time just like Josh McDaniel in Denver.

Surprised you've never heard of Brett Perriman, he had a pretty great career. Though I know most Patriot fans think the NFL was founded in 2001 😉

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2021 12:04 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Yeah looked him up, very good 9 year career, 6 w/Det - his son is a wideout too

but yeah, Pats 20 year run was almost unprecedented - guess the Perrimans & other notable players went under my radar

really think Patricia’s return will be a boon - “mayb Pats’ D didn’t bite many kneecaps, but they made opposing Os bite the dust” under Matt🤷🏽🥱🤙🤙

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 19, 2021 1:12 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @stephen

the lawsuits are piling up on Deshaun Watson now

14 & counting, & he’s now being called “a serial predator”

he’s done - in fact am amazed he hasn’t been dropped from the roster, it’s happened that way b4 & it’s progress imo that he hasn’t been - nothing’s been proven, only alleged, albeit from everywhere

if it gets into the legal system it’ll take years to answer back the myriad of accusations at the rate it’s going

This post was modified 6 months ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 23, 2021 10:59 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@stephen Caldwell was successful in Detroit. Even crazy Jim Schwartz and Bobby Ross got the Lions to the playoffs. Marinelli and Marty-defer-in-OT-Morningwheg were the two super duds, but that fallow period was mostly the fault of GM Matt Millen - even Mooch couldn't win with Joey Harrington.

Patricia knew his X's and O's but didn't understand players, not ready for prime time just like Josh McDaniel in Denver.

Surprised you've never heard of Brett Perriman, he had a pretty great career. Though I know most Patriot fans think the NFL was founded in 2001 😉

Sorry Bob, nobody could win with Harrington. Perriman was a very good (and very underrated) receiver. That deferring in O/T was unbelievable. And yes, Millen was awful. But I will always blame pretty much must if not all of the Lion's problems on the Ford family.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 23, 2021 5:41 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

he’s done - in fact am amazed he hasn’t been dropped from the roster, it’s happened that way b4 & it’s progress imo that he hasn’t been - nothing’s been proven, only alleged, albeit from everywhere

if it gets into the legal system it’ll take years to answer back the myriad of accusations at the rate it’s going

I dunno what to make of this story. You sure would hope it isn't true. When things like this happen and accusers start coming out of the woodwork it always makes me wonder. Think Bill Cosby, Larry Nassar.

No idea if it's true or not but as I said, it makes me wonder.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 23, 2021 5:46 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@lee

Chicago offered three first-round picks, a third-round pick, and two unnamed starters for Wilson.

But when do they get the picks?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 23, 2021 5:48 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @lee

but that fallow period was mostly the fault of GM Matt Millen - even Mooch couldn't win with Joey Harrington.

Sorry Bob, nobody could win with Harrington.

Exactly my point 😉

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2021 8:35 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @lee

but that fallow period was mostly the fault of GM Matt Millen - even Mooch couldn't win with Joey Harrington.

Sorry Bob, nobody could win with Harrington.

Exactly my point 😉

Wasn't quite sure what you meant. Harrington is a great guy and all but just another in the long litany of bad draft picks the Lions have made in the last um, forever. 😛 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 24, 2021 9:59 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

guessing they’ll stay WFT - bland, meaningless, generic, offensive to no one - just like their team’s play

That’s what they’re leaning toward apparently (recent article) as a permanent solution

meantime a high school near me, after decades & decades of great play to make the Redskins proud....it too has gone political & abolished its Indians name/mascot

Why the all out effort everywhere to abolish & absolve & clean the slate of any connection past or present to indigenous peoples

it disrespects Native American heritage to have their good names dumped on like this & put out to pasture -

why should people want to distance themselves from it - It’s Not A Shameful Logo, but what do I know

at least preserve what’s left for the unoffended majority, Braves Chiefs, Aztecs, Blackhawks ....

The Blackhawk clan was well known for its fighting qualities - the same to multiple generations of Chicago hockey fans

.....Mayb their fans, after rolling their eyes & yawning, would tolerate ChiHawks - that’s a common nickname they already have

but they wouldn’t w/out a fight✌️✌️
P&L

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2021 10:32 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Boy, I bet the Texans sure wish they had traded Watson. They could have received a king's ransom. Probably three first round picks and whatever else they wanted. Now I have a hard time believing anyone wants to touch him (no pun intended).

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-lawsuit-that-is-most-problematic-for-deshaun-watson-014827728.html

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 25, 2021 7:55 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Yeah he’s destined to become the next Colin Kapernick/Josh Gordon of the league - probly more voyeurism than predator on Watson’s part, but rich hi-profile people can’t hang around massage parlors forever w/out it coming to light, as Mr. Kraft found out

-

While in Houston

McCullers Jr

has never pitched a full season -

rivals Stephen for injuries

6 years in majors, all of 508 IP

32-25 career W-L

damaged goods....& They Sign Him To An $85M Extension

without quoting anyone, espn opined that Lance “is coming off a solid 2020 - he was 3-3 w/a 3.93 ERA!”

yes such is the sick state of pro sports

who knows, he’s only 27, maybe he’ll have the same 2021 Stephen did in 2019

let’s go Sox

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 25, 2021 10:03 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

nothing’s been proven, only alleged, albeit from everywhere

Now it’s 19 & counting, w/bribery & blackmail implied in the more recent charges

if all this is still hanging over his head come next season, will he be allowed on the field

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2021 12:44 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Scuttlebutt is that the alleged victims were contacted by him or someone in his "camp". Obviously his attorney denies this happened.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 29, 2021 6:23 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
World Class Peach

Now it’s 21-18 & this whole thing is turning into a circus - 21 accusing him, now 18 defending him

when it’s that close, that shows a lotta doubt & he shouldn’t be barred when training camp opens in Aug if the game stays that close😮

It’ll have a few more twists & turns yet - the supermarket tabloids will love this stuff, not to mention the scads of lawyers

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 3:56 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Get ready for President's Day weekend Super Bowl. The 17-game season should push the game back even further into February (God help us when it falls on Valentine's Day). It's been decades since any of the major sports leagues added games. I'm not super thrilled about it, but it was inevitable, especially after the financial losses from last season.

Since 2002 realignment to 4s (4 divisions, 4 teams, 16 games), the schedule has been an automatic. The added game will be an inter-conference game. One of the added games we will be getting is the State Farm Bowl, KC-GB, hopefully with Rodgers and Mahomes this time around. So the league has to be excited about that.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 31, 2021 4:58 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Get ready for President's Day weekend Super Bowl. The 17-game season should push the game back even further into February (God help us when it falls on Valentine's Day). It's been decades since any of the major sports leagues added games. I'm not super thrilled about it, but it was inevitable, especially after the financial losses from last season.

Since 2002 realignment to 4s (4 divisions, 4 teams, 16 games), the schedule has been an automatic. The added game will be an inter-conference game. One of the added games we will be getting is the State Farm Bowl, KC-GB, hopefully with Rodgers and Mahomes this time around. So the league has to be excited about that.

$ money money money more games more TV inventory more home games more apparel sales

How about Amazon getting the Thursday games?  I told my wife, "I don't think I'm going to watch the Thursday games this year - who watches football on Amazon?"  She says "we have Amazon on our TV, and I'm a Prime member you can watch the games".  I said "no I don't want to watch streaming only football"  She said "now you are just being silly" I said, "well, I'm just being me".

$ money money money more saturation more saturation more saturation new fans new audiences new viewers more ways for corporations to market $ money money money

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 10:23 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@nebish I'm going to go with your wife on this. You're streaming it live, no different than how most people get their cable TV.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 10:44 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

@nebish I'm going to go with your wife on this. You're streaming it live, no different than how most people get their cable TV.

Oh yeah, it makes no sense, not like I have to shape my viewing habits in any kind of way that makes sense.  I like football, why wouldn't I watch it via Amazon?  Guess it's like the same thing if they said they were adding a game to Friday night too.  I'd be like 'no, I'm not watching NFL on Friday night' - and - as of now I'm going to say I'm not watching NFL on Amazon.  I think they did some of those London games exclusively on yahoo didn't they?  Never watched those either.  I like NFL, but I really am not going to go out of my way to follow wherever they decide to put their broadcasts.  Maybe this is the line in the sand moment for me or something.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2021 11:00 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Wait, the Thursday games aren't on TV now? They were on the NFL Network at least.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 2, 2021 8:24 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@nebish sometimes you just have to dig your heels in and say "that's ENOUGH!" 😉

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2021 9:12 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee

Since 2018 they have also streamed them on Amazon. But I think Amazon now has exclusive rights to Thursday games (except in local markets).

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2021 9:20 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@porkchopbob

I don't know. I found this:

https://sportsgamestoday.com/NFL/thursday-night-football-tv-schedule.php

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 2, 2021 9:32 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee we're both right!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/18/nfl-announces-new-tv-deals-with-nbc-cbs-fox-espn-amazon/

Amazon, which previously had the rights only to simulcast Thursday Night Football on Prime Video, will now have the NFL’s first all-digital TV package with Thursday night games exclusively available through Amazon. The Amazon exclusive will begin with the 2023 season; FOX still has Thursday Night Football for the next two years.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 2, 2021 9:44 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

2023!  OK good...well maybe I'd watch Amazon if they hire Colleen Wolfe away from NFL Network!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2021 11:17 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Haven't been as excited to watch the draft as I am tonight. Lots of intrigue this year. Is Jimmy G getting traded? Aaron Rodgers? Draft picks? How will the Bears screw up? My Lions of course. Hope it is a fun evening. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 29, 2021 7:06 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Turning it on now, what did I miss, Aaron Rodgers get traded yet?

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 29, 2021 9:46 pm
Page 32 / 35
Share: