The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

No More Football!

Page 28 / 31
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

At night I've been watching a lot of the old "This Week in the NFL" and "This Week in Pro Football"  I have a bunch recorded on DVD, ESPN Classic used to play them a while back, but you can watch some on youtube too.  Anyway, I'm on 1970 right now, I watch them week by week in succession.  Did you know, that in Terry Bradshaw's rookie season, he was sacked in the EZ for a safety in each of his first 3 games!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 21, 2021 10:30 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @nebish

Not every good QB of their time and era gets in.  Last time we were on this topic last year I threw out Ken Anderson and Lee kind of scoffed at that.  John Brodie.  Roman Gabriel.

Not everyone should get in, that is what makes it special.

Totally agree. There are too many guys like Jerry Kramer who wait years while passers like Kurt Warner get in. And if a guy who made it to 3 Super Bowls is debatable, then a guy who was merely an above average QB in his day probably shouldn't get in.

Looking at the 2004 QB draft class (Rivers, Eli, Big Ben), Rothlesberger is the only one I'd say should be in Canton.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 8:49 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @sang

I just hope Detroit stays behind the Bears..... Shocked Grinning  

Last Place A & last Place B? 😉 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 22, 2021 7:21 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @stephen

Pats OC Josh McDaniels possibly headed to Phila

Nope, they went w/Indy’s OC

Matt Patricia returning to Pats

So many great QBs now - coming up on 39, & w/Steeliz having brought in Dwayne Haskins, guessing Big Ben will be next to retire after 16 years as greatest ever in Pitts, just as Rivers was in SD (& that includes #21, John Hadl😮🧐

There were greats like Favre, Elway, P. Manning, Montana, Marino ..... hard to top them but those two, then Brady, Brees & Rodgers? Even those stellar others can only look up to those three

ups must be given where due - Bills fans rock - we should all learn from their amazing gesture

games are too close to pick - rooting for TB(12) .....AB can’t play for TB....Mahomes likely to apparently

In addition to being on the OL, Jerry Kramer was also the FG & PAT kicker for Pack - had his book Instant Replay for a long time, it & his followup one were real popular

This post was modified 1 month ago 5 times by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 8:51 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@stephen

There were greats like Favre, Elway, P. Manning, Montana, Marino ..... hard to top them but those two, then Brady, Brees & Rodgers? Even those stellar others can only look up to those three

I think passing stats these days are inflated, different game. I'd take Montana, Marino, and Favre over Brees. Brady and Rodgers are right up there with them.

Not sure if I'd rate Rivers over Dan Fouts. Similar careers, above-average QBs without much playoff success.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 23, 2021 11:57 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@porkchopbob

I say Fouts over Rivers if you want to pick between a couple of San Diego guys. Still say Rivers is a HOFer though. 😀 I think people put too much weight into whether a guy was on a Super Bowl winning team. It is a team after all.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 23, 2021 5:24 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @porkchopbob

Not every good QB of their time and era gets in.  Last time we were on this topic last year I threw out Ken Anderson and Lee kind of scoffed at that.  John Brodie.  Roman Gabriel.

Not everyone should get in, that is what makes it special.

Totally agree. There are too many guys like Jerry Kramer who wait years while passers like Kurt Warner get in. And if a guy who made it to 3 Super Bowls is debatable, then a guy who was merely an above average QB in his day probably shouldn't get in.

Looking at the 2004 QB draft class (Rivers, Eli, Big Ben), Rothlesberger is the only one I'd say should be in Canton.

Regarding Kramer, one on the best autobiographies I've read is his. After that, his second one I didn't think much of.

There was a guy that use to live in my Chicago neighborhood and was known as "Green Bay Bill". This guy knew everything and I mean everything about the Packers. He personally knew a lot of the guys from the 60s. He and I used to kind of play sports trivia with each other. 

He disappeared about two years ago. No clue what happened to him. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 23, 2021 5:38 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

No more Matt Stafford.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 23, 2021 6:56 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Just saw that too. Hard to blame him. He probably values his kneecaps.

Definitely something wrong with the brass if all of your best players would rather quit than play for you, and they’re like, yeah we get it. 

colts would make a lot of sense.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 23, 2021 7:39 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@porkchopbob

I thought the same thing about the Colts. Perfect fit. Really good roster, great coach. Plus Stafford probably has maybe three or four years left. But you are right about the abuse he has taken. The Lions couldn't protect him. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 24, 2021 7:19 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Hoping for two instant classics today.  One of the times that any combination of winners I'll be fine with, just make 'em fun!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 8:47 am
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

Kind of fun and interesting that both conference title games this year are outdoors in whatever the elements might be.

"Y'all know the Fire Marshal...the cat that can't get the job as a policeman." Duane Allman

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 12:18 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

According to rotowire.com weather not expected to be a factor at Lambeau Field or Arrowhead Stadium🤭😜

The whole width of Niagara Falls is lit up in Bills colors in that sensational nighttime photo - that town has gone upside down for the Bills & it’s tremendous to see 

the Chiefs Braves & Blackhawks won’t be touched thankfully, & the Indians won’t go down w/out a fight

This post was modified 1 month ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 1:19 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @lee

No more Matt Stafford.

Same thing Deshaun Watson in Hou

mayb they should just trade teams

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 1:29 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

Ugh...GB is getting it taken to them . Bucs score end of 1st half and beginning 2nd. Rogers and company better get it going.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 5:01 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

Whew...score and a pic by the Pack. Hang on folks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 5:06 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Hoping for two instant classics today.  One of the times that any combination of winners I'll be fine with, just make 'em fun!

Yes, going from the old masters to the new-age QBs in one afternoon is cool - TB (3 INT) wasn’t exactly masterful but goes to his 10th SB - Rodgers played great, 348 yds passing - next game should be just as good

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 6:42 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Glad GB made a game of it (unlike their last 2 NFC Championship games) but this was not a great matchup for them. Bucs’s D line was the difference. They held GB’s run game in check taking away Rodgers’s time in the pocket. He definitely isn’t as mobile as he was 5 years ago. Brady had all day. If Brady has a bad game and you can’t capitalize, it’s your own fault. LaFleur gambled a bit, tough calls when you’re behind late. The 2-pt conversion was on the numbers, the penalty was the dagger.

Fun season. when do pitchers and catchers report?

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 8:06 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

FOX News just called this game for KC with 7:35 to go in the 4th.

Bills have a bright future ahead.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 9:36 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Thought we were in for a good finish in the GB game...until the FG with 3 minutes left.  I'm not going to be critical of that decision, but in today's NFL I was surprised.

Wouldn't have been a decision to make had GB O not struggled in the RZ in both the first and second half.  I remember two first and goal situations and they get two FGs out of them.

Right Bob, GB OL got owned, a week after they dominated a less than full strength LA DL.  What will really be disappointing if if GB wins some kind of best OL award.  I don't know if that is a thing, but they advertise this NFL Honors show, no idea what they give out there, never watched, but if they give GB OL the best unit award after this game that will be a shame.  Sure you hate to throw dirt on the whole season for a bad game, but this being the pros, this is the game that mattered. 

Anyhow...think by some point in the 2nd H Tampa was without both their starting safeties too.

Oh, of course I have to have a bad gambling beat right?  2 point conversion drop by St Brown, right in the hands, and he drops it, trail by 5 instead of trail by 3.  Trailing 10-21 I bet GB 2nd H -7 which made the game line +4 and they lost by 5.  Had they kicked the xpt, I push, had they catch that 2pt conv, I win.  I mean, they could've scored a TD on their final drive too that would've worked.  GB O coming up TD-less twice on two RZ trips.

Oh...and that TD right before HT with :01 left.  Rodgers INT, GB D holds, TB puts the kicking team on the field, nope lets pull them off and GB DB gets burned I'm sure not expecting a go-route.  Those kinds of moments are very hard to overcome. So is fumbles by the RB (lost one of two by Jones).

Just kind of feel bad for this team.  It's basically the same team they had last year and this year and last year don't feel very comparable.  2nd year with the HC and Rodgers gelling.  You just wonder, next year nothing is guaranteed.  Just because they had such a nice season this year and Rodgers played at one of his highest levels ever, next year, who knows they could be a wild card, or injuries, who knows.  This was a huge missed opportunity, road to the super bowl at home in Lambeau, they must all be sick.

I do like it for Brady though, as if his legacy needed any more credentials, old QB first year new system and going to super bowl.  It isn't like he followed a NE coach to Tampa and they just played the NE O down there, this was a pretty tough learned curve at times.  Brady is just one of the best ever period.  No secret there.  And Tampa D the last two games has been impressive when they weren't always impressive at other points this season.

Said before any combo of SB matchups would be good.  TB vs KC should be excellent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2021 11:11 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

“TB vs KC should be excellent.”

X2, & imagine advantage TB Bucs would have in a non-covid year

but yeah all the old turk/young buck QB stories etc, - probly an overload of press coverage, it usually is - 4 xample, read somewhere, 12 gets a $1 million bonus for winning the SB (yawn)

Good point btw on Dan Fouts, had forgotten about him in San Diego - 3 greats out there, John Hadl #21, the last QB not to wear a # under 20, then Fouts & Rivers

This post was modified 1 month ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2021 5:06 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Games were okay yesterday, nothing great but entertaining.

Super Bowl: Chiefs - 3.5.

O/U 56. That seems low to me. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 25, 2021 7:02 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Did anyone notice how many people were in the stands at both games? Looked like a lot, I thought I heard 8,500 in Green Bay for example. It sure looked like there were a lot more than that.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 25, 2021 7:05 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Why did GB kick a field goal at the end of the game when they did?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 25, 2021 7:11 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee the FG will be forever scrutinized (and never mind that had St Brown caught the 2-point conversion, the FG would have tied the game).

If they scored a TD, they needed a 2-pt conversion to tie it. If the 2-pter fails, they are still down by 2 and need the ball back to get a FG. LaFleur didn't want to come away without any points, figured he had 4 clock stops and over 2-minutes left. Not something Herm "You play to win the game" Edwards would have called, but there was some logic to it. I agree it was a mistake, you have Rodgers, let him win the game, or let the D stop the Bucs backed up against their own end zone.

As for fans, it just looks like more people when they are spread out and not on top of each other. The seats in Lambeau are actually pretty tight when there's a full crowd.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2021 9:30 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

Green Bay Packers coach Matt LaFleur said call to kick FG late 'felt like right decision'

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30772964/green-bay-packers-coach-matt-lafleur-said-decision-kick-fg-late-felt-right-decision

I dont have a problem with the call. Rogers had a clear chance to run it in on the 3rd down , he was clearly open. Not sure what happened there. The pass interference I get, probably a little more blatant, but the ref's were letting them play all game . Dunno...I feel a see a lot of PI when the defender is riding the back of the receiver and has his back arm around his waste pulling and turning on him. Dont get it. Its kinda like in BB where anymore you are allowed the extra step and when dribbling the player is palming/carrying the ball. I have seen that in a lot of local HS BB. Its kinda overt looked and common place it happens so much the ref's just dont call it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2021 12:43 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@jszfunk the PI call was the dagger, and was definitely flaggable, but wasn't consistent with the rest of the reffing (such as Rodgers' INT). But the Packers put themselves in the hole in the first place. Can't blame the refs on this one. Packers defer so they can possibly punch it in before and after the half, and instead the Bucs did just that. Points off turnovers was the difference.

I thought Rodgers would try to run it in too. In the moment it looks like he had room to cover the 10 yards, but that might underestimate how quickly that D could swarm.

But hey, how about the Chiefs? I didn't pay close attention to the game, but they certainly easily handled to Bills. Chiefs's running game will be harder to keep in check than the Packers' was last night.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 25, 2021 1:27 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@lee the FG will be forever scrutinized (and never mind that had St Brown caught the 2-point conversion, the FG would have tied the game).

If they scored a TD, they needed a 2-pt conversion to tie it. If the 2-pter fails, they are still down by 2 and need the ball back to get a FG. LaFleur didn't want to come away without any points, figured he had 4 clock stops and over 2-minutes left. Not something Herm "You play to win the game" Edwards would have called, but there was some logic to it. I agree it was a mistake, you have Rodgers, let him win the game, or let the D stop the Bucs backed up against their own end zone.

As for fans, it just looks like more people when they are spread out and not on top of each other. The seats in Lambeau are actually pretty tight when there's a full crowd.

Bob - 

You might like this article. I found it interesting. You are right, they still would have needed to convert the two point conversion but hell, why not take a shot? At least that's what I think about it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/maybe-analytics-told-packers-and-bills-to-kick-field-goals-who-they-were-facing-shouldve-told-them-something-else-164745480.html

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 26, 2021 5:21 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee I think that's what every one thinks, including probably LaFleur at this point. I think he just over thought it in the moment.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 26, 2021 8:49 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

@jszfunk the PI call was the dagger, and was definitely flaggable, but wasn't consistent with the rest of the reffing (such as Rodgers' INT). But the Packers put themselves in the hole in the first place. Can't blame the refs on this one. Packers defer so they can possibly punch it in before and after the half, and instead the Bucs did just that. Points off turnovers was the difference.

I thought Rodgers would try to run it in too. In the moment it looks like he had room to cover the 10 yards, but that might underestimate how quickly that D could swarm.

But hey, how about the Chiefs? I didn't pay close attention to the game, but they certainly easily handled to Bills. Chiefs's running game will be harder to keep in check than the Packers' was last night.

You are right, the Pack put themselves in a bad position to begin with. I was pretty impressed with the Buc's D, very solid. Brady looked good dropping the ball to his receivers. Some of those deep passes were on a dime. Nice touch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 26, 2021 8:51 am
Page 28 / 31
Share: