Notifications
Clear all

Playoffs: Super Bowl Shuffle Time!  

Page 21 / 28
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Scott will like this one. So last night I have Seattle -6.5. 12 seconds left. Seattle is up 23-9. Philly scores a TD to make it 23-15 with 12 seconds left. If they just kick the point after I win. I figured they'd do that but they didn't, they go for two and I lose by a half point. Unreal. 🙄 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 1, 2020 7:06 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

And the funny thing about that is for half a second I considered to buy a half point but I figured given the spread what are the chances of that mattering. Well, I would have pushed. 😮 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 1, 2020 7:30 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I find some of this discussion about coordinators getting head coaching jobs interesting. I hear the talking heads on TV talking about that frequently. And they usually say something along the lines of them being wonderful coordinators but not good head coaches. As in, they are better at being a position coach. Jim Schwartz for example. During last night's game they kept showing him. He was a debacle as the Lions coach. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 1, 2020 7:36 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee

Yeah, just because you're a brilliant football mind, doesn't mean you can manage and lead 52 personalities. Teams try to poach from a successful coaching tree, and sometimes it works but some of these coaches today are young. You never know until they put on the head set. Landry and Lombardi were both coordinators for the Giants and they were immediately successful in Dallas and Green Bay. But players and contracts are so different today - in the 50s and 60s they sold cars or insurance in the off season. Tough for a guy like Patricia to come in and be an authoritarian. Belichek only had 1 winning season out of 5 in Cleveland, and pissed off a lot of fans and players when he ditched Bernie Kosar. Not every coach gets a second chance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2020 9:08 am
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

Whenever I think of Jim Schwartz, this always comes to mind. You have to watch the whole thing

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2020 10:46 am
nebish liked
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

^Harbaugh!  What a dick!  Love Harbaugh when he's cocky and winning.  Man I wish the Michigan-Ohio State game could get something like that!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2020 11:30 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @stephen
Posted by: @lee
Posted by: @nebish

For you Lee:

Letter from the Editor: It’s the day we give thanks that only one holiday is ruined by the Lions

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/11/letter-from-the-editor-its-the-day-we-give-thanks-that-only-one-holiday-is-ruined-by-the-lions.html

There was an article in The USA Today of all places today about people calling for his firing. The Lions made a horrible decision to replace Caldwell with this guy. 

Altho in truth, no one from Lombardi to Shula, Amos Alonzo Stagg to Knute Rockne, Landry to Belichick could do much w/DFT 2020  - DFT rhymes w/medio-crity, even when Barry S was there

Well, there are such things as free agency and the draft - two things the Lions have sucked at for decades for the most part.  Having some competency with regard to trying to improve the team would go a long way.  And it doesn't take a hall of fame coach.  Hell, look at Cleveland, they hire an OC from the Lions division and have stabilized and become a solid team for the first time in like forever since coming back to Cleveland. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 1, 2020 11:34 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@jszfunk I always think of this whether it's Harbaugh or Schwartz. Harbaugh is the supreme douche and Schwartz apparently can't control himself. Was such weird behavior from 2 head coaches.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2020 9:12 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@nebish NFL success ha so much to do with ownership.

Look at the perennial winners - New England, Green Bay, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Seattle, New Orleans. They have owners (or in GB's case, a President) who are focused on winning, they hire the right people to make that happen and step back. There's stability, coaches are allowed to make a case for themselves.

Look at perennial losers - Chicago, Detroit, Jacksonville, (for a long time) Cleveland, the Raiders, NY Jets. Usually owners who can't create a winning culture or hire qualified people and step back, instead they stir the pot. GMs don't want to work there, good coaches don't want to work there, and players don't want to play there. No stability year-to-year.

The Browns ownership has been all over the place during both the Lerners and Jimmy Haslam eras. New coach and GM every year or two, even went 0-16. Somehow it's working this year in a tough division, but you know what they say about a broken clock. Maybe they've turned the corner and found the right balance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2020 9:37 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Aaron Rodgers needs 3 more touchdown passes to become the 7th player in NFL history with 400. He will be the fastest QB to reach 400. He's played in 192 career games. Drew Brees was the previous fastest to 400, doing it in his 205th game.

Just goes to show how the game has changed. I remember when Favre broke Marino's career record of 420. That seemed untouchable. Meanwhile Brady and Brees both have over 560 TD passes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 2, 2020 12:40 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

That video is pretty funny. I thought Schwartz was being a dick at the time. Harbaugh didn't do anything. Didn't really matter I guess.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 2, 2020 8:00 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I like the reason I saw for The Steelers/Ravns playing in the afternoon. NBC wanted to show the Xmas tree lighting at Rockefeller Center in NY. 😋 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 2, 2020 8:04 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

On this day 5 years ago, Green Bay completes 20 point 2nd H comeback vs Detroit with a 61y TD pass as time expired.

?crop=1919%2C1079%2C0%2C0&resize=540%2C304&order=crop%2Cresize

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2020 8:51 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

The straight up pool is ridiculously close ... well except for @DanB......

Ater 12 weeks:

Go Bucs           106

Sang                105

nebish              105

Get Down Tuitt  104

DanB                  30

This post was modified 2 months ago by Sang
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2020 10:13 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Belichick will pass Landry for 3rd all time after Sunday’s game in LA, leaving him trailing only Shula (526) & George “Papa Bear” Halas (506)

This is the first time Bill has coached in LA since 1993 (w/Browns)

Browns - like TN, 8-3 - most crucial game on the slate

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2020 3:28 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I'm sure you are all awaiting today's key match up: The Lions and the Bears! The only reasons I am going to watch this is because I want to see who ends up in last place in the division and I bet a buddy on the game for some reason. Oh, and it is on local TV here. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2020 8:05 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

They’ll both be occupying the cellar at 5-7 - same Redskins & NYG (4-8) - an 0-fer in storfer NFC East 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2020 10:21 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Weird.

Lions and Bears each lost by identical 41-25 scores last week.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2020 11:25 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Yeah they have a few games left - but after 2day - a win just isn’t meant to be for NYJ - unreal - won’t get any better for NY fans in the nightcap - 

Watta 1st half for Browns - 2nd,....

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2020 4:19 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

He’s a gunner out there - great name, Gunner Olszewski - an electrifying 70 yd punt return, then a 38 yd TD catch - plus he comes from a school I never heard of, Bemidji State -

it’s almost as good as Booger McFarland

Smack-Down😁😜 - Coach should go to LA more often - short-week W next in the Calif sunshine, w/Raidiz

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2020 7:32 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

Deshaun Watson is playing great and carrying the Texans. To bad his team is not the best. He made those 3rd string receivers look pretty good this past weekend.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 8, 2020 8:30 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Deshaun Watson is very good.  And whether it has been coaching, or OL, or as you say yesterday the receivers, I have yet to ever hear anyone blame Watson for Houston's losing.  And maybe, hey, maybe he is not the reason.  But every other QB, Brady, Rodgers, Rothlesburger...well maybe not Mahomes, but every other QB has had their occasional time facing criticism.  It seems almost like Watson is immune to criticism.  We'll see when they get a new coach.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 8, 2020 4:44 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Watson has been solid. Houston has been surprisingly above average in a weak division the past few years, but Watson keeps playing well. Some teams it's just hard to stop thinking of them as the new guy in the room.

How about the Steelers? I don't hear a lot of chatter about them, probably because they haven't had too many overly impressive wins - Browns, Ravens, Titans. They end with a pretty tough stretch against the Browns, Colts, and Bills, so I guess we will see what they are made of.

The Eagles are starting Hurts this week, giving Wentz the clip board. Hard to imagine any QB succeeding behind that line, but even harder to imagine this team won a Super Bowl just a couple years ago.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 8, 2020 5:10 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

The Bears and Lions are tied for last place in the NFC North at 5-7.

The Giants and Washington are tied for first place in the NFC East at 5-7. (The 2019 NFC Champion 49ers are also in last place at 5-7)

Washington is now 3-1 with Alex Smith as their starting QB, and just beat the undefeated Steelers (on a short week). Smith isn't playing great, but it's amazing he was able to return at all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 9, 2020 3:22 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @porkchopbob

Watson has been solid. Houston has been surprisingly above average in a weak division the past few years, but Watson keeps playing well. Some teams it's just hard to stop thinking of them as the new guy in the room.

How about the Steelers? I don't hear a lot of chatter about them, probably because they haven't had too many overly impressive wins - Browns, Ravens, Titans. They end with a pretty tough stretch against the Browns, Colts, and Bills, so I guess we will see what they are made of.

The Eagles are starting Hurts this week, giving Wentz the clip board. Hard to imagine any QB succeeding behind that line, but even harder to imagine this team won a Super Bowl just a couple years ago.

Steelers are always pretty solid and seem to be in the thick of things. Having a really good year. Wins are wins. They will play Indy, and the Colts will take a punch in the mouth from them. Pitt usually has they're way with them given the recent history.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 9, 2020 4:48 pm
Rusty
(@rusty)
Peach Extraordianire

RIP Ray Perkins - coach of NY Giants and Bear Bryant's hand-pick successor at the University of Alabama.  

His record wasn't necessarily what he was all about.  He brought a lot of heavyweights into the NFL - players and coaches. He was all about intensity.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/12/sacrifice-commitment-to-alabama-defined-ray-perkins.html  

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 9, 2020 8:15 pm
Brendan
(@brendan)
Extreme Peach

@porkchopbob

As an Eagles fan, very much looking forward to seeing Hurts get the start. Wentz has been such a disappointment. Just hope Jalen doesn’t get killed behind that Swiss cheese O-line of theirs... Why anyone thinks its a good idea to let Jason Peters play anymore is beyond me. He’s like a statue.

That Browns team is fun to watch!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 10, 2020 2:50 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @brendan

@porkchopbob

As an Eagles fan, very much looking forward to seeing Hurts get the start. Wentz has been such a disappointment. Just hope Jalen doesn’t get killed behind that Swiss cheese O-line of theirs... Why anyone thinks its a good idea to let Jason Peters play anymore is beyond me. He’s like a statue.

That Browns team is fun to watch!

They might has well see a little of what they have in Hurts. Pretty sure they are still on the hook for Wentz next season as they should be. I'm sure he's still the starter.

And you're right the Browns are fun. Can't stand the QB but fun to watch. I still find it funny that he tried to plant an Oklahoma flag in concrete at Ohio State a few years ago. 😋 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 10, 2020 7:55 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Won’t happen tonite, oh well

...not over yet

Pats have to run table starting w/tonite’s game tho

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 10, 2020 9:10 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

So today's NFL TV schedule where I am well, sucks. While I guess it makes regional sense, I really don't care to watch the entire NFC North because I happen to live here. All four teams are on today. I am going to get to observe three teams getting their asses blown off and the only reason there isn't four is because one of them (Green Bay) is going to blow the ass off of one of the others.

The KC/Miami game at noon and the Indy/Raiders game at three (yes I live in the central time zone) should be better. 

The NBC night game should be a good one though. 😀 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 13, 2020 9:02 am
Page 21 / 28
Share: