The Allman Brothers Band
Notifications
Clear all

Playoffs: Super Bowl Shuffle Time!  

Page 20 / 28
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Very classy gesture for Broncos to send game ball to all-time Denver RB Floyd Little - he was diagnosed w/cancer in May, was moved into hospice care Saturday

Little was a big star in those AFL>NFL years - his #44 is retired both in Denver and at Syracuse, where he was a 3 time All American & almost as big a star as Jim Brown

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2020 9:04 am
nebish liked
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Brutal Pack-Colts game. Seemed like no one wanted to win. Green Bay's defense looks as soft as cotton, not going to go far if they keep playing the way they have been.

Titans are making some noise, the Ravens games yesterday sounded like a barn burner.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2020 12:27 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

Fun game with Packers and the Colts. Glad Indy got the win, but it could have easily gone the other way. Being a Colts fan, still not totally sold yet. They have a real good team, and can beat sub par teams and teams maybe at there level, but will struggle with the upper brass in the league. I want to see them against  KC, Pitt and Buf. Baltimore beat the Colts a couple of weeks ago.  I think this is the best Defense the Colts have had in 36 yrs here. They have had some really solid ones here and there, but few that can dictate and change the course of the game like this group has when needed. They shut down the GB running game and ran the ball when on offense.  I think some of my hesitation with them comes from the QB. Not that Rivers is bad, but I am not sure if he could really come back against an upper level D when the game is on the line. Could be wrong.  I think at some point they are gonna have to move on from him and into the future.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2020 1:25 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@jszfunk yeah both teams are a good step behind the top tier teams at the moment. Super sloppy game, not sure I had much fun watching even when GB was up.

Rivers has never been a crunch time QB, but at 38 he can't be their long-term solution. Jonathan Taylor might turn into a really solid running back for them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2020 2:02 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @porkchopbob

@jszfunk yeah both teams are a good step behind the top tier teams at the moment. Super sloppy game, not sure I had much fun watching even when GB was up.

Rivers has never been a crunch time QB, but at 38 he can't be their long-term solution. Jonathan Taylor might turn into a really solid running back for them.

Yeah good call on Rivers about crunch time. I noticed it a few times this year and I was not impressed with his ability during those times. Makes me nervous. I think that will be they're down fall in the playoffs against the best.  He does not seem like a QB that can carry a team like Luck did with the Colts. I better stop , or I will get on my soapbox about that issue. Makes me ill thinking about it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2020 4:58 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Still in all he has em at 7-3 going into the crucial game w/TN, also 7-3 - it could be worse given Luck’s sudden retirement - guessing Rivers’ veteran savvy will come to the fore Sunday

Pats have gone from standout to ordinary, same Gronk in Fla - TB12 Still Has Game

Browns have 1-9 Jax, but Myles Garrett out again, & now key CB Ward - never know w/the Browns, they had no points on a 95 yard drive Sunday - but can’t recall last time they were 7-3 either

This post was modified 2 months ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2020 5:41 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Brutal Pack-Colts game.

Fun game with Packers and the Colts

That was funny reading those posts back-to-back! 

Rodgers almost found a way, Rodgers usually finds a way even when you think he can't. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2020 6:12 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @nebish

Brutal Pack-Colts game.

Fun game with Packers and the Colts

That was funny reading those posts back-to-back! 

Rodgers almost found a way, Rodgers usually finds a way even when you think he can't. 

Heh Heh, yeah I thought that too! I couldn't have cared less who won but it was entertaining. If anyone was looking for a brutal game, I could point to any number of Lions games! 😉 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 24, 2020 8:40 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Reminder for the few people that still make picks that there are 2 games tomorrow...... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 25, 2020 3:02 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

You know, when Green Bay played at San Fran a few Thursdays back, SF was in bad shape roster wise and didn't the NFL say "we will not move the game, this game will be played as scheduled" and the 49ers rolled some bodies out there and the Packers crushed them.

Now, Baltimore has quite a few issues, but the NFL says "don't worry we will accommodate you and move the game to Sunday".

What gives?

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 26, 2020 11:16 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

You know, when Green Bay played at San Fran a few Thursdays back, SF was in bad shape roster wise and didn't the NFL say "we will not move the game, this game will be played as scheduled" and the 49ers rolled some bodies out there and the Packers crushed them.

Now, Baltimore has quite a few issues, but the NFL says "don't worry we will accommodate you and move the game to Sunday".

What gives?

Ask Tuesday. Oh wait, this is about football. But wasn't she on The Munsters or The Addams Family? 😛 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 27, 2020 9:56 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

For you Lee:

Letter from the Editor: It’s the day we give thanks that only one holiday is ruined by the Lions

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/11/letter-from-the-editor-its-the-day-we-give-thanks-that-only-one-holiday-is-ruined-by-the-lions.html

There was an article in The USA Today of all places today about people calling for his firing. The Lions made a horrible decision to replace Caldwell with this guy. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 27, 2020 10:03 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@nebish I believe the difference is the 49ers mostly had players out on IR and just a small handful of COVID cases. The Ravens had at least a dozen positive cases, with tests coming in the night before the game (similar to the TN-Pitt game that was rescheduled earlier in the season).

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2020 10:07 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @lee

For you Lee:

Letter from the Editor: It’s the day we give thanks that only one holiday is ruined by the Lions

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/11/letter-from-the-editor-its-the-day-we-give-thanks-that-only-one-holiday-is-ruined-by-the-lions.html

There was an article in The USA Today of all places today about people calling for his firing. The Lions made a horrible decision to replace Caldwell with this guy. 

Altho in truth, no one from Lombardi to Shula, Amos Alonzo Stagg to Knute Rockne, Landry to Belichick could do much w/DFT 2020  - DFT rhymes w/medio-crity, even when Barry S was there

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2020 12:17 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@stephen I disagree with that. The Lions have been in a few close losses this season. Patricia inherited a solid team from Caldwell and was supposed to get them over the hump. Instead he's never won more than 6 games in a season (so far, but that will likely stick) and it sounds like players hate him. Lions just need a Head Coach with experience, the team is too young and Patricia is in over his head.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2020 1:13 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Yep, the Lions agreed Porkchopbob, good call - he’s history

still say his successor will fare no better - none ever have😮

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2020 2:55 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

So the Lions fire their head coach, Patricia and GM Quinn today. No shock there. I wonder if the same will happen to the Bears on Tuesday. Both terribly managed organizations.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Lee

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 28, 2020 3:21 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Mayb he’ll return to NE & resume as DC

Matt’s situation is the same as Bill Arnsparger’s back in the day

Both highly touted coaches of multiple SB defenses, Arnsparger the architect of the 17-0 No Name Defense in 1972

Gave those gigs up to become head coaches elsewhere

both had 2 1/2 years w/their new teams

& struggled (Arnsparger 7-28 w/NYG)

so, less than in over their heads, imo it’s more they didn’t have Super/Pro Bowl talent to work with

Patricia provided pointers to Prater prior to his big 59 yard kick

(hehe - alliteration🥴)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2020 3:29 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Looks like John Elway will have to come out of retirement for Broncos😮🥴

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2020 6:55 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

So the Lions fire their head coach, Patricia and GM Quinn today. No shock there. I wonder if the same will happen to the Bears on Tuesday. Both terribly managed organizations.

I figured it was gonna happen sooner or later. I assume the OC is taking over for now?  Someone in the upper brass needs to start making some sound decisions as far as GM's and HC's.  Detroit and a few other franchise I can think of need some football minds to guide them in the decision making dept.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2020 10:08 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@stephen Reminds me more of Josh McDaniel in Denver: highly regarded football mind who failed to understand the locker room. Being Head Coach is more than x's and o's.

Caldwell had some decent teams in Detroit the past decade, there's a nucleus to work with.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 29, 2020 9:31 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @jszfunk

I figured it was gonna happen sooner or later. I assume the OC is taking over for now?  Someone in the upper brass needs to start making some sound decisions as far as GM's and HC's.  Detroit and a few other franchise I can think of need some football minds to guide them in the decision making dept.

In my opinion, one of the main problems with the Lions is that their family tree doesn't fork. As in, The Fords have run the organization for so long that is seems that they need different upper management. And back to the days of William Clay Ford owning the team, they have usually been loyal to a fault. How long did they allow Wayne Fontes to coach? Matt Millen as their GM? They have somewhat changed that m.o. as of late. Look at Caldwell getting fired which was a horrible decision.

I feel bad for guys like Sanders, Calvin Johnson, Stafford. Even back to the 70s with Players such as Billy Sims, Al Bubba Baker, Doug English, etc. They actually have had some respectable teams as was mentioned. 

One playoff game win since the 50s. Think about that. Hard to comprehend.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 30, 2020 6:27 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

So I was looking at the NFL box scores this morning and I was curious to see what the N.O. / Denver one looked like. Couldn't believe it. Denver only had ONE completion. I didn't hear any of the commentators talking about the game but that has to be a record in futility, doesn't it?

And why didn't the NFL postpone the game? Probably didn't matter to Denver but it affected the playoff picture in the NFC.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 30, 2020 7:05 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

@stephen Reminds me more of Josh McDaniel in Denver: highly regarded football mind who failed to understand the locker room. Being Head Coach is more than x's and o's.

Caldwell had some decent teams in Detroit the past decade, there's a nucleus to work with.

Romeo Crennel too - great longtime defense coach, less successful as head coach w/Browns altho he guided them to what I believe is their only winning record (10-6) since the franchise returned to Cleveland after a 4 year hiatus

Their interim TE coach blended in as anonymously on the sidelines yesterday, as her name does w/the team - Cynthia Brownson, the 1st female to work a game as a positions coach

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2020 7:46 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@stephen No, players respect and like Romeo Crennel, and as you said, had success. Seems like some Belichek's disciples want to bring his attitude to their new teams but can't back it up. Patricia has ruined a decent Lions team.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2917777-how-matt-patricias-patriot-way-went-the-wrong-way-in-detroit

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2020 10:48 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee I get why the Lions fired Caldwell, and Patricia's pedigree looked good on paper. They thought they were being aggressive and a Patriot coach was going to take them from Wild Card team to contender - just like when the Bears fired Lovie Smith after a 9-7 season. Instead they got Jim Schwartz all over again. Something is wrong with the organization when you have 2 franchise players who'd rather retire than play.

I think the Denver game tied a league record for completions. Players have said they think the NFL was making an example of them, "this is what happens if you don't follow the rules". Crazy game, even for 2020.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2020 11:33 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

@stephen No, players respect and like Romeo Crennel, and as you said, had success. Seems like some Belichek's disciples want to bring his attitude to their new teams but can't back it up. Patricia has ruined a decent Lions team.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2917777-how-matt-patricias-patriot-way-went-the-wrong-way-in-detroit

Success was minimal; outside of the 10-6 record Crennel had a 14-34 record in Cleveland, and 32-58 overall

that’s why, on the topic of highly regarded DCs struggling as head coaches I see him in the same light as those other guys - great that he was liked & respected

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2020 12:41 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@stephen

great that he was liked & respected

Well, that was my point - highly regarded football minds who were too young to Head Coach and didn't understand how to manage players. Instead of building on the success Detroit had, Patricia blew it all up. Flores seems to be doing better in Miami but he took over a team that was in a complete rebuild.

I'm interested to see what Darrell Bevell will do as Interim Coach. He's had a lot of success as OC in Minnesota and Seattle (aside from his call in SB XLIX)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2020 1:13 pm
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Yeah in addition to the motivation for a good start under a new coach, a win would tie Lions w/da Bears - schedule gets tougher for Det after that 

Will Phil bench Wentz? A rookie, Hurts, was rumored...looks unlikely, but Carson is most-sacked QB in league, nfl.com said

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 30, 2020 4:27 pm
Page 20 / 28
Share: