World Class Peach

He probably said ' I'll get right to it'.. Grinning

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 9, 2020 8:54 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin
Posted by: @sang

@porkchopbob   Desktop.  It will show in 'Recent Posts' that nebish posted something in NFL2020 - when I click on it, it goes to the thread, but doesn't have his post.  When I go back, the entry is no longer in the 'Recent Posts'.   Either nebish keeps changing his mind, or it might be something for @rowland to look at......

There are several places between your eyeballs and the database holding the Forum posts where things are "cached" - a copy is kept.  Your browser caches things, there is a "Content Distribution Network" - servers around the world for geographical proximity to users, and the server itself has a caching system.  

If you are logged in, every page you view is created from scratch from the Forum database and served up to you.  It will be absolutely current.

If you are not logged in, some things could come from one of the caches.  The caches should be refreshed pretty quickly (seconds to minutes) when something changes in the Forum, but it does take a finite amount of time.

Why all the caches?  Speed.  Some things like images don't change often or at all, so no need to send them over and over to you.  You get them from your browser or a cache closest to you.  

The other reason is that 90% of traffic to the site is from search engines, grinding away and reading every post over and over every day.  By serving them from caches, there is no load on the site and so "real" logged-in users get much better performance.

So - just log in if you want to see the absolutely latest stuff.  

I could tell the system to never cache the Forum but that usually leads to the server getting slammed like it was a month ago.  Not good because response times can go up to 30 to 60s due to bots and search engines.

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2020 4:56 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

@rowland  Thanks for the explanation, but things are weird.  It kept looking like I was logged in, but then if I clicked on members it would say login.  I clicked on login, and it takes me to a page that has my logo, but it just says logout, like I am logged in.  I logged out and then logged back in - but both ways it looks like the MT thread in Banding Together is gone, along with most of the old threads that were there.  I am currently using a chromebook, and I also deleted my cache and history to see if that was the problem.  How can I make fun of Lee and oldcoot* without the MT thread?    🙄 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2020 4:21 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

@sang - that sounds like the login cookie is not being accepted or returned by your browser.  If your Chromebook's date / time is not accurate, or if you have cookies blocked for this site, you can't be logged in.  The login process sets a cookie in your browser and it has an expiration date and time.  If your machine's time is off, the cookie can be immediately expired by your browser.  

Someone told me they tried to edit the title of the MT thread and it "disappeared."  It certainly could be a bug, or it might have been accidentally deleted.  If it was deleted, we don't have thread-level backups.  We'd have to restore the whole site from an earlier time.  Maybe just start a new MT thread...

Best,

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2020 5:12 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

@rowland Seems weird, because I am able to post, so I must be logged in, right?   I blame Lee if the thread is gone..... Amazed  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2020 6:16 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Ultimate Peach

You can post in MT29 but MT30 has disappeared ... maybe I am in the TARDIS ...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2020 6:39 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

@sang "gone along with most of the old threads that were there" 

Are multiple threads missing?  Or just MT?  If it's multiple, we can't blame Lee unless he's been exceptionally busy Smile

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 5:09 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

@sang if you can post, you are logged in.

If you appear to be logged in on some pages but not others, check that the domain and protocol match - i.e. if you are viewing a page as https:// and are logged in and somehow end up on an http:// (no s) page instead, the login cookie won't be honored.  The site is supposed to always redirect you to https://allmanbrothersband.com but maybe there are some messed up links.  Same would apply if you logged in to https://allmanbrothersband.com and then visited a page as https://allmanbros.com or one of the other aliases for the domain.  "Shouldn't happen" but you know how it is with computers ... 

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 5:20 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @rowland

@sang "gone along with most of the old threads that were there" 

Are multiple threads missing?  Or just MT?  If it's multiple, we can't blame Lee unless he's been exceptionally busy Smile

Heh heh. As I said to you, I have no idea what happened. I tried to change the title, it showed it changed and then it was gone. I think an IT ghost did it. 😛 Oh well. It isn't like anyone has anything interesting to say to each other.

As long as we have a place to hurl meaningless insults I am happy. And oh yeah, talk about the ABB now and then. 😀 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 5:32 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

Thread isn’t the only thing deleted, so is Pats-Broncos from MNF 

(how’s that for a segue🥴)

LA has better chance of winning 2 titles (NBA, MLB) than TB (NHL, MLB)

good ol Sunday morning

This post was modified 2 months ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 9:38 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

They’re en route to another L, but NYG kicker has 3 FG of 50+ yards

Lets go Browns, en route to 4-1 record

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 6:55 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

It must really be tough to remember to make picks once a week....... @DanB Shocked Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2020 10:12 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

So from what I saw, the Bills are currently scheduled to play tomorrow the 13th AND Thursday the 15th. One at home, one on the road. That would be a neat trick to pull off! 😛 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2020 7:28 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

That didn't look good for Dak Prescott. Gotta feel terrible for him. Because it's the NFC East, the Cowboys' season isn't over, but hoping Dak's injury looks worse than it actually is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2020 9:26 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

I saw the normal time frame for this injury is about six months. Not Tommy John but still...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2020 9:46 am
Lana
 Lana
(@lana)
Member Admin

@porkchopbob, it did look gruesome. I'd be surprised if he's back this year and hope he heals completely.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2020 11:56 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

@rowland  Guess I didn't see what you copied over - only about 6-7 threads - so I am guessing all the old MT threads are still over at the archived blue site ...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2020 12:02 pm
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

@rowland  Guess I didn't see what you copied over - only about 6-7 threads - so I am guessing all the old MT threads are still over at the archived blue site ...

Any thread started before Oct 2014 would not have been migrated, and yes, should be at the old site.

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 12, 2020 1:06 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

I thought last week's schedule lacked a little.  This one is good!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 16, 2020 10:40 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

A lot of people seem to forget there are Thursday night games...... 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 23, 2020 10:30 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@sang well, when it's the NFC East who can blame them?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2020 10:11 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire

That’s for sure - had NY hung on to win they would’ve been in 1st place - w/a 2-5 record - now the Redskins’ll scalp Dallas & Really make it interesting

abysmal times for football in the Big Apple - maybe Jets’ll get 1st win w/the other NY team, Buff, in town

Pats need to get back to .500 - Browns’ll win ‘battle Of Ohio’

This post was modified 1 month ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2020 12:22 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

@porkchopbob    Good point!   I was jabbing the people in the NFL pools (except nebish) who forgot to make picks again.  But then DanB always forgets.......... 😆 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2020 12:50 pm
piacere
(@piacere)
Peach Extraordianire

@porkchopbob    Good point!   I was jabbing the people in the NFL pools (except nebish) who forgot to make picks again.  But then DanB always forgets.......... 😆 

Hey Sang. Haven't forgotten. A few days ago I got violently sick, sweating, fever, vomiting, coughing, vision a mess, thought I was dying. ER first thing, naturally, was check for Covid, negative, twice. Sinusitis. You believe it? The last 10 days or so have been freakin brutal but antibiotics beat the snot, pardon the pun, out of it and I'm much better. My gf and I immensely enjoy making picks, though her method is odd at best and we stink at it but it's a cool thing to do together and we laugh (very important). Take care, good to see you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2020 10:38 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

You could have just said you forgot....... 😀 

Sounds pretty scary, glad you are feeling better... say hi to Gina.... 🤣 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 25, 2020 2:42 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

How much worse can it get for Atlanta? When you lose because you accidentally scored a TD...to the Lions.

There were some fun shoot outs yesterday. Even Jax-Chargers made things interesting.

The Cowboys are still a half game out of first place. The Giants are 2 games back. What a dumpster fire. When they play more division games, someone has to win, right?

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2020 9:52 am
Stephen
(@stephen)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @porkchopbob

The Cowboys are still a half game out of first place. The Giants are 2 games back. What a dumpster fire. When they play more division games, someone has to win, right?

___

Yep they’ll be in prime time in all their glory next week, Dallas-Phila Sunday nite, then TB & Bucs w/a field day w/NYG on MNF - Redskins thankfully are off😮

Seeing the Pats get banged around while TB was going 33 of 45 for 369 yards & 4 TDs.....Pats have had amazing 15-20 year run

This post was modified 1 month ago by Stephen
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2020 12:17 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Yesterday was great!  So many games came down to the final minutes or seconds in the early action. 

Lions!  Hey if I bang on them when they suck it up, got to give them their credit when they deserve it.  Gurley scored that TD...same thing Penn State did Saturday.  How Detroit went right down field...the TD...the winning xpt after the penalty.  That was awesome!

Browns-Bengals, Steelers-Titans, Carolina-Saints lots of fun there.

Hey, for about a quarter and a half yesterday I thought that the Jets might do it.  Buffalo clearly was hungover from the mental let downs of the Tennessee and KC games and it bled over to the first half of that Jets game.  I mean Darnold did have a good half and the Jets were fighting, so got to give them credit, ultimately the better team woke up.

Just every early game yesterday had something in it.  Dallas.  In a way that was so predictable, yet, on the other hand, the way they got beat down by a Washington team that never beats down anyone, man.

The 4:00 games weren't so good, although the Jax-Chargers game got interesting for a little bit.  BUt then that late game Seattle at Arizona, wow.  It was so crazy because for the first 3.5 quarters you felt like Seattle was blowing them out, but were the Cardinals just kind of staying in it.  The stops, sacks and ultimately turnover that Arizona got on their final 3 defensive possessions against Russell Wilson and the way that OT unfolded.  Man I loved that game.

I'm just really loving everything about the NFL right now.  Good stuff!

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 26, 2020 12:40 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Leave it to the Bears offense to end the week on a lackluster note.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2020 11:04 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Suddenly the Steelers are the lone undefeated team. The AFC North and NFC West are suddenly the best divisions in the NFL. Who knew?

Not a lot of great matchups on paper this week, but might make for some surprisingly interesting games.

Steelers-Ravens - looks like another great battle between these two rivals.

New Orleans-Chicago - are the Bears any good?

SF-Seattle - is Garropolo back?

Dallas-Philly on Sunday night. Does anyone even want to win the NFC East?

Miami-LA Rams - bummer the phins benched Fitzy after a couple of great performances, but it was just a matter of time before Miami threw Tua into the lineup.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 27, 2020 11:32 am
Page 18 / 21
Share: