NFL 2020. Will it Start?  

Page 16 / 18
  RSS
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @jszfunk

@nebish

As a Colts fan, that game was a little painful to watch in the 2nd half. Rivers had good numbers ,besides the 2 picks. Actually 3, but it got called back due to a Jags penalty.

Washington looked good. Clev.......I feel sorry for they're fans.  I watched a little of the Saints and Bucs, and highlights just of others.

I wish you the best of luck (no pun intended ~ Andrew).  Hopefully you do not have any high blood pressure or anxiety problems....if so Rivers is going to be tough for  you.  He is fun to watch, but always keeps the other team(s) in the game.  Sucks you lost that one.  I teased Indy with Buffy...usually that is how teasers go, one team is an easy win and the other team you thought was an easy win ends up losing out right.  Jax had no business winning that game....except for the turnovers, missed kick and drops.  Such is life.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2020 9:58 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@nebish I think GB is still of the Ron Wolf/Ted Thompson draft mentality that you take the best player available, you don't search for position. Plus, I think they are still betting Lazard and Equinamieus will turn the corner like Adams once did. I have no problem with them taking a RB since they have become so disposable in the NFL.

No secret that Rivers is just a stopgap in Indy while they rebuild. Not sure how that will go this year but it certainly won't last long.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2020 9:11 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Looks like @DanB is having trouble making picks 2 weeks in a row........ Nonoise  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2020 5:55 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Another week, another example of what makes the Detroit Lions one of the worst teams annually.  The stop the clock penalty that allowed them to punt the ball to Green Bay at the end of the 2nd Q (instead of killing the clock).  Then the multiple 15 yard defensive penalties that helped Green Bay march down the field to take the lead.  I think it was first possession of the 3rd - Jones for like 70 yards.  Then Stafford throws a pick-six from his EZ. 

The Jets might be the least competitive team, but I think Detroit is actually the worst.  They show it almost weekly.  Sorry Lee.  I know you see it too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2020 6:20 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Rough game for the 'Niners on the injury report! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2020 6:21 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Is it just me...or does it seem like every Cowboy home game at AT&T stadium is crazy.  Absolutely craziness in that one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2020 6:24 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

I bet Carolina +8.5 today.  Leonard Fournette is off the Christmas card list. 46y TD run on 1st down when Tampa would've just been trying to kill clock.  Then Carolina **** teased me by getting inside the 5 before time ran out.

Miami got the back door vs Buffalo in the final minute.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2020 6:30 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@nebish The Lions fired Jim Caldwell after a 9-7 season, they were putting up a fight for a few seasons. Patricia has 9 wins in 2+ seasons. I just don't think that guy is head coach material, not right now at least.

Meanwhile, Kirk Cousins is who we thought he was!

I was saying to my wife, at least players in empty stadiums can't get booed. But, leave it to the Eagles to find a way.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/carson-wentz-booed-eagles-fans/

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 9:52 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Man really rough week for injuries.  So now the conversation is starting about the lack of preseason games, scrimmages and general physical contact and if or how that might be contributing to any of it.  I heard a former player this morning talk about the instincts of protecting your legs near a tackle or around a pile.  Taking weight off your leg as contact is about to take place.  It's subconscious, but it builds up mentally over time and throwing people into the fire without some of the contact related preseason activity could be leading to some injuries.  I don't really know where I come down on that, but people seem to be talking that way now.

That NE - SEA game last night was pretty terrrific huh?  A couple bad looking injuries for Seattle in that one though.

Not a single upset yesterday.  Can the Raiders pull it off tonight?  Conventional wisdom would say no...Sean Payton will need to be a little more crafty without Thomas in the lineup.  Saint's D is pretty stout though, Payton and Brees kind of overshadow that D.  I don't know what to make of the Raiders yet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 12:18 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Cousins was brutal!

I always kind of pulled for him honestly.  Guys that get beat up off the field, and a lot of times they deserve the criticism, I just really like it when I guy faces those critics and responds.  Kirk has done that more than once in his career.  I just think Minnesota is completely lost right now.  Zimmer wants to feature the run game, and you need the run, but the threat of run is really what opens up the passing game.  I think Zimmer meddles too much on the O side and doesn't let his OCs have free reign.  And you let the stud WR go and not replace him with a contributor - how does that make them better?  It doesn't.  And the D has all that turnover too.  Minny might be lucky to get to .500 at this point.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 12:23 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

I guess we have kind of a NFC North centric fan base here with 3 of 4 teams represented by actively posting members.

I bang on the Lions, but look at the add Minnesota got with Ngakoue out of Jacksonville.  That is the move Detroit needed to make.  Instead what do they do, add a RB they don't need instead.  The O was going to be ok without Peterson, Peterson does nothing to make that team better.  But a pass rusher would've made an impact, Lions are like, 'nah, we're good we really don't want to get better'.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 12:28 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@nebish I think the injuries have more to do with off season workouts than preseason games. I think people are overstating the injuries - how many injuries are there every season during preseason alone? To the contrary, I'm actually surprised how solid the games have been.

Cousins isn't a bad QB, I just don't think Minnesota is a great fit. That team has a history of bailing on QBs early.

Nice to see Buffalo having some success. After 2 decades of misery, they've been trying to get over that hump, but hasn't been easy with NE dominating the AFC East. Not that beating Miami is terribly difficult, but at least they have a fighting chance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 12:44 pm
nebish liked
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @nebish

Another week, another example of what makes the Detroit Lions one of the worst teams annually.  The stop the clock penalty that allowed them to punt the ball to Green Bay at the end of the 2nd Q (instead of killing the clock).  Then the multiple 15 yard defensive penalties that helped Green Bay march down the field to take the lead.  I think it was first possession of the 3rd - Jones for like 70 yards.  Then Stafford throws a pick-six from his EZ. 

The Jets might be the least competitive team, but I think Detroit is actually the worst.  They show it almost weekly.  Sorry Lee.  I know you see it too.

I am sure Patricia's seat is getting a little hot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 3:33 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

@nebish

The Colts defense was pretty stout yesterday. It would not have surprised me if Cousins lit them up yesterday, but it did not happen. I think after last weeks game against Jacksonville and Menshew Indy tightened it up . He actually had pretty big numbers yesterday , minus the picks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 3:41 pm
jszfunk
(@jszfunk)
World Class Peach

The KC vs LA game was pretty good. I was hoping the Chargers were gonna pull the upset, but it was not meant to be. I really don't know a lot about Herbert as a QB. Did not get to see much of his college stuff.

Will Arizona be the surprise team this year? Kyler Murray putting up solid numbers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 3:47 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

With the way the Lions got to 0-2, the meltdown vs Chicago and the collapse at the end of the 1st H / beginning 2nd H yesterday definitely puts Matt Patricia in the bullseye.  Looks like he packed on the covid-15 (+) too this offseason, just saying.

@Jszfunk, saw Rivers jawing with #24 DB from Minny yesterday.  Rivers is fun, I'll give him that.  I like his passion and his competitiveness.  Definitely a fun player.  Hopefully Indy has a great season for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 7:53 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

@BigV should be posting.  Enough with that silly politics and current events stuff  - it's football season!

Herbert looked pretty good yesterday for your Chargers.  OT with the defending champs!  Pretty strong effort by the D. Not sure why you'd go back to Taylor at QB now though, drafted the kid in the first round and got thrown into the fire yesterday - why not make the future now?  Sucks for Taylor, and not the first time it's happened to him...maybe it is a team chemistry/mental thing to keep Taylor the starter.

And then your other team, the Saints on the road to debut the Las Vegas Raiders tonight!

Where you at?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 7:58 pm
BIGV
 BIGV
(@bigv)
World Class Peach
Posted by: @nebish

@BigV should be posting.  Enough with that silly politics and current events stuff  - it's football season!

Herbert looked pretty good yesterday for your Chargers.  OT with the defending champs!  Pretty strong effort by the D. Not sure why you'd go back to Taylor at QB now though, drafted the kid in the first round and got thrown into the fire yesterday - why not make the future now?  Sucks for Taylor, and not the first time it's happened to him...maybe it is a team chemistry/mental thing to keep Taylor the starter.

And then your other team, the Saints on the road to debut the Las Vegas Raiders tonight!

Where you at?

Saints fan for life!....Chargers...meh, watched while I lived in S.D.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2020 8:08 pm
mjallen
(@mjallen)
Peach Pro
Posted by: @porkchopbob

Cousins isn't a bad QB, I just don't think Minnesota is a great fit. That team has a history of bailing on QBs early.

All of us Vikings fan that I know have been saying the same thing for years.  The Vikings problem is much deeper 

though this year.  Zimmer is too conservative of an offensive mind to play with a defense that can't defend.  I like 

Zimmer but I think he needs to be a little less conservative this year to have a chance to win at all.  I normally

get pissed off that he is too conservative when he has a defense but this year we have no chance unless he lets 

his offense play.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 6:32 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Packers @Saints next Sunday night. Should be a good test for both teams. Saints D couldn't handle Derek Carr last night. Even though they were better against the Lions, the Packers D hasn't exactly been dominant. Will the Packers put up 40+ again?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 9:31 am
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Saints opened at 6.5 for the GB game before last night's game.  I was going to be watching that game with my Packer friend and already knew I was going to be taking the 6.5.  Kind of a crazy line if you think about it.  Line down to 3.5 this morning.  I probably still like GB, but do not like betting against Saints off a loss.  It is more obvious now, but I think I said it here, their D is what won them the Tampa game.  People post game talking about Brees' age and the lack of arm velocity and his vision.  I'm not going there, dude is great, but that is what these people do, got to have a hot take in the immediate aftermath.  Think Saints will be much better in week 3.

I thought the Raider OL looked awful in the first half.  Everything the Raiders did was very hard or had to be precision and just barely made it.  Things were coming much easier for the Saints O.  But the second half was a different story.  Surprising game really, but that is why we watch!

mjallen - cool that you are a Vikings fan, so we have every team in the NFC North represented here!  I grew up a Cowboys fan in the 1980s, but then lost interest as they were good every year.  Now I just enjoy all the teams and games.  Surrounded by Browns fans.  I still do hate the Steelers though. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 9:47 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@nebish yeah you can't determine anything in Week 2. Talking sports heads gotta talk. That's what is great about the first month of the season, some teams jump out because of easy schedules, some teams fall back because of hard schedules, some teams are still figuring it out and have yet to gel.

Normally Packers in the Superdome is tough, but you take the crowd out it gets easier? Brees and Rodgers have had some shootouts, I expect 70 points.

Also next week:

Dallas @ Seattle

KC @ Baltimore - probably the best MNF match up since the featured game moved to Sunday.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 22, 2020 10:06 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Nice job last week @nebish - waited till the Monday night game to miss one in the straight up pool..... 🍻 

You only beat DanB by 15 ..... Shocked Grinning  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2020 3:45 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Apparently Spartan Municipal Stadium is not only still standing in Portsmouth, OH, on the Ohio River, but it's still in use and recently renovated. The Detroit Lions were founded as the Portsmouth Spartans and played there from 1928-1933 before moving north to MI.

This was the site of the Iron Man Game against the Green Bay Packers.

Spartan coach Potsy Clark refused to make even a single substitution against the defending NFL champion Packers. Portsmouth won 19–0 and used only 11 players all game

65551168 1012078548998031 1960139137348534272 n
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 10:36 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Here's a reason to watch tonight's battle for Eastern Florida tonight:

https://www.jaguars.com/news/game-day-fan-information

This week's national anthem will be performed on electric guitar by Jacksonville's own Derek Trucks of Tedeschi Trucks Band.  Trucks, the nephew of longtime Allman Brothers drummer Butch Trucks, began his professional career playing with blues bands around his native Jacksonville, and before the age of 20, Trucks had shared stages and jammed withBob Dylan, Joe Walsh, and Stephen Stills. He and his wife, Susan Tedeschi, debuted Tedeschi Trucks Band in 2010 and have gone on to record five albums and tour steadily for a decade, including two sold out shows at Daily's Place. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 12:17 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

Wow that is cool about Derek.  I did watch most of the game tonight but didn't get in until end of 1st Q.  I really enjoy Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Just like his game, his moxy, his determination - always kind of counted out, then brought back in and he has some strong moments.  Guys like him make the game fun.  Not a superstar or a guy who is Pro Bowler, just kind of a guy you want on your team you know?

Yeah, what is up with DanB?

And I love old stadiums, I need to go visit that Portsmouth stadium!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2020 11:53 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Love Fitzmagic, every where he's gone he's been fun to watch - he gets knocked around and gets back up. Bizarre he never found a permanent home. Especially the Jets, what were they thinking?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2020 9:57 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

Here's another old stadium. City Stadium in Green Bay, where the Packers played from 1925-1956. Currently still in use by the local high school football team.

card00079 fr

Last Packers game played there was a loss to the 49ers: http://packersuniforms.blogspot.com/2012/11/last-game-at-old-city-stadium-1956.html

1956nov18 Tittle
ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2020 10:07 am
rowland
(@rowland)
Member Admin

Hey guys - 

Lana said "we need Peachbook!" so of course I went off and found some software to add to the site to support community, ad-free social networking.

I haven't announced it broadly yet, this is still "alpha" - it's stable, but has many ways to be configured, that's the part I'm playing with.

One of its features is the ability to create Groups.  They can be public, private, or hidden.  Membership can be open, invite only, or closed.

To test it out, I created an NFL group and invited a few of you who post in this thread.  It's an open group so feel free to invite others who might want

to try it out.  

You can find it here:  https://allmanbrothersband.com/groups/nfl/

Cheers,

Rowland

I'll get right to it...

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2020 6:16 pm
nebish
(@nebish)
World Class Peach

@rowland

How is that different (or better) than what we have already here in the forum?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2020 10:42 pm
Page 16 / 18
Share: