Clear all

MT 30.5 - Where's Otie?

Page 73 / 83
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @sang

I hate IPA's, but since I can no longer taste the bitterness, I can drink them if I have to ... 😛 

I don't like them either. Not sure if they are still an "in" thing or not. I honestly never understood the classification. Is that a designation? Like pilsner or lager or something? Do they all taste the same?

Sadly, I guess it doesn't matter to you now Mike. God that has to suck. 😏 

You got to go to hell before you get to Heaven.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 6, 2021 3:26 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Peach Extraordianire
Posted by: @lee

I hate IPA's, but since I can no longer taste the bitterness, I can drink them if I have to ... 😛 

I don't like them either. Not sure if they are still an "in" thing or not. I honestly never understood the classification. Is that a designation? Like pilsner or lager or something? Do they all taste the same?

IPA originally stood for India Pale Ale, so named because they were brewed in barrels used as ballast on board ships from England to India while they fermented.

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by harvey
ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2021 3:43 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

IPA's are very hoppy, which comes across (at least to me) as very bitter.  Yes, they seem to be the "in" thing ... seems like every brewery has to make them...  Give me a stout or a porter anytime - although I do like some of the wheat beers for the summer - Bell's Oberon, Goose Island 312, etc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2021 4:30 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

It was kind of odd when IPAs become every brewery's flagship beer 15 years ago - everyone forgot how to make a Lager. I like IPAs, but there was an arms race to see how heavy you could make them - I never needed a double or triple IPA. A few years ago a brewery near me introduced a RYE PA which went a little too far.

After Sours (uh, gross) became popular for a few years now it seems like every other beer is a Hazy IPA. Some I like ok, but some taste like straight up juice which is just kind of gross for a beer. Here in FL breweries make IPAs a little lighter, closer to an APA, which I prefer (FL has a surprisingly excellent beer culture). I still prefer a Porter, but not at the beach.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2021 5:13 pm
Sang liked
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

Sang, with your loss of taste why not save some money and drink Keystone Light? Surprised Razz  

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." Dean Wormer

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2021 7:17 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

My kids already suggested that (with Miller) .... although I have tons of Bourbon County Stout here to drink .... 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 6, 2021 8:01 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Goooooooooooooooooooood 'ol Particularly Preposterous Packing Day! 😎 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2021 7:09 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

IPA's are very hoppy, which comes across (at least to me) as very bitter.  Yes, they seem to be the "in" thing ... seems like every brewery has to make them...  Give me a stout or a porter anytime - although I do like some of the wheat beers for the summer - Bell's Oberon, Goose Island 312, etc.

I never really liked Bell's. They were hugely popular in Lansing/East Lansing when I was in grad school there. Maybe because they were right on the expressway from Kalamazoo where they brewed it. I was in a bar recently and this guy came in who was a rep for Bell's and he actually lives in Kalamazoo. He was in Chicago trying to drum up business I guess. He bought everyone in the bar all the Oberon we wanted. The bartender kept having to cut up orange sliced to put on the glasses. I actually kind of liked it.

Fun Day. 😉 

I can't stand 312. There's actually a restaurant in downtown Chicago called 312. They have no affiliation with the beer. Last time I was there they wouldn't even sell it. I think they named it after one of the Chicago area codes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2021 7:23 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @harvey

IPA originally stood for India Pale Ale, so named because they were brewed in barrels used as ballast on board ships from England to India while they fermented.

So they put them in the bottom of boats. No wonder they taste like crap. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2021 7:28 am
harvey liked
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach
Posted by: @oldcoot

Sang, with your loss of taste why not save some money and drink Keystone Light? Surprised Razz  

That's wott I thought. And eat all the healthy food that you hate for now. Be good for you. Then go back to steak and lobster when this crap goes away.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2021 7:34 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

This is the street fest for the weekend here. It isn't quite as crazy as The Pride Parade but it's pretty close. It's a crapshow. I know this is gonna screw up my commute to and from Wrigley for the game as there are a bunch of street closures. 

https://northalsted.com/marketdays/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2021 7:46 am
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee 

I never liked Bell's much either. But Founder's is really good, MI has some pretty good beer.

It's nuts how many breweries there are now. Growing up in the beer state WI, there were all the Milwaukee pilsners (Miller, Schlitz, PBR) but there were also smaller breweries making other types of (German) bier - Leinie's, Berghoff, Capitol, Point. Now every town has at least one brewery. I'm not complaining, but the bubble has to burst at some point, right? And if I see Leinie's on the shelf it's almost always their nasty Shandy. Though Leinie's other biers (ah-hem) pales in comparison to just about any other brewery out there today. I think Steven's Point brewery makes Costco's Kirkland brand beer so that's good for them. In college we'd get cases of Point returnables, stack them until we had enough for a free case (which didn't take long since we lived a block over from Camp Randall).

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2021 11:25 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@porkchopbob 

Leinie's is pretty big here. I like it. Berghoff is interesting. They were the first establishment in Chicago to open after prohibition. They finally opened after COVID probably a month or so ago. If you've never been there, you need to go. One of the daughters. granddaughters or something took over the management of the place. She kind of changed it to make it more of a banquent  hall kind of thing. 

For years women weren't even allowed in there.

Some of us from the site went in there before ABB shows at The Chicago Theatre. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2021 12:05 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@porkchopbob 

Speaking of Miller, did you ever go to the Miller brewery tour? I went there probably five or six years ago and that was cool as hell. Before there was refrigeration they would store the kegs underground. It was indeed cold so I guess it was good enough for the beer. At the end of the tour they give you a bunch of different brews. My wife rarely drinks beer so I gladly accepted her free samples. I Dont Know  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2021 12:14 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee I didn't know Berghoff was originally from Chicago. 20 years ago, when they were trying to compete with Leinie's their brewery was in Monroe, WI - you could smell the hops all around the town square. I haven't seen it on shelves for years, last I heard it was also being brewed at the Steven's Point brewery. Do they still make it?

Sprecher is another one I always liked. Love the Black Bavarian Lager, though all I ever see outside of WI is their root beer. I think the reason why the popularity of IPAs was a surprise to me - all the breweries in WI were Germanic bier, we didn't have many ales. It was lagers, wheats and maybe a Belgian, but not really any English-style ales.

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2021 12:16 pm
PorkchopBob
(@porkchopbob)
World Class Peach

@lee That's cool, and makes a lot of sense. I never did a Miller tour (used to be able to get a package Tour/Brewer game), but I've been to New Glarus Brewery and Capital. Probably a few others. For a while Pabst had a hotel and brew pub with 50 WI taps so you didn't have to drink PBR.  I don't really do the tours anymore, brewers spend most of their time power washing.

If you're ever in the area, Wollersheim Winery just north of Madison has a similar 150 year-old cave where they'd store wine for the winter. The vineyard was established by a Hungarian who moved out to Napa and basically established the vineyards out there.

2013 FullCaveLookingInside

www.porkchopbob.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2021 12:25 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

Good Morning!

All the brewery talk is making me kinda thirsty! Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2021 12:50 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Good Morning!

This is the best. I actually remember it from when I worked in a grocery store.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 7, 2021 5:48 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
World Class Peach

Good Morning!

This is the best. I actually remember it from when I worked in a grocery store.

A Falstaff brewery in Omaha made this and one that just read BEER. In was sold in discount grocery stores. Rot gut. But cheap!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 7, 2021 10:24 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

@oldcoot 

Yeah they had food products in the 80s that were generic. It made them cheaper I suppose. I think the beer was brewed by Falstaff you are correct. They couldn't even come up with anything to put on the labels?

That reminds me, I remember one time I was in the storage room in the back of the grocery store and we had a whole pallet full of "somethings". They were cans with nothing on them. So the stock guys are like, "what the hell do we with this"? I told them to open one up, I might try it. Can of green beans. I suggest trying a different box. It was something different. Even though is was only 18 years old I knew we couldn't put food on the shelf and people wouldn't know what it was. 

We were laughing, having a jolly old time and I hear my name being called over the intercom telling me to get my ass to the recycling station. Good times... 😛 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Lee

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 8, 2021 7:59 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Today is the last day with our fuzzy little friend. I'm telling you those things are chick magnets. I'm gonna miss him. 😛 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 8, 2021 8:21 am
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Played pretty well this morning - glad we finished before it got too hot out .... 😀 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 8, 2021 12:36 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Goooooooooooooooooood 'ol Melon Day! 

I guess that means I have to go to Hooter's for lunch. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 9, 2021 6:41 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Well, yesterday was a long one. We had to give back the pup. I thought THB was gonna cry. We had to take all of his stuff to the lobby and do the handoff. Max (the dog) was so excited to see mommy & daddy. I've never seen by brother in law so happy. So that was nice.

I woke up last night and reached to my left in the bed and THB says, "he isn't here". Got up this morning and I'm expecting clinks on the hardwood floors and nothing.

I don't know how foster parents can do it. 😉 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 9, 2021 7:06 am
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Obviously another lazy, lazy day. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 9, 2021 3:21 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Waiting on the storms - my brother texted that the tornado sirens were going off by him - not supposed to hit the south burbs until about 8 tonight

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2021 5:28 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Peach Extraordianire

Goooooooooooooooooood 'ol Melon Day! 

I guess that means I have to go to Hooter's for lunch. 😉 

Not sure you will find a ripe melon in Hooters Wink  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2021 6:28 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Peach Extraordianire

Waiting on the storms - my brother texted that the tornado sirens were going off by him - not supposed to hit the south burbs until about 8 tonight

Keep your head down and stay safe my friend

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2021 6:29 pm
Sang
 Sang
(@sang)
World Class Peach

Hasn't started yet here - now looks like around 10 ... drinking some Elijah Craig to prepare ...

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2021 10:12 pm
Lee
 Lee
(@lee)
Universal Peach

Goooooooooooooooood 'ol Lazy Day!

Perfect for this place. Perfect.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 10, 2021 9:26 am
Page 73 / 83
Share: